Looking for Info on Columbian Spotted Pleco

All posts regarding the care and breeding of these catfishes from South America.
dad
Location 1: Billings Montana

Looking for Info on Columbian Spotted Pleco

Post by dad »

Does anyone have any information on this pleco. I have only found one Picture on the net without any information to go with it. The following is the link to that picture. Maybe someone knows it by another name? http://www.fishaholics.org/gallery/colu ... co14.shtml Any help or information would be appreciated.

Thank you!
-D
ClayT101
Location 1: Baton Rouge, LA
Location 2: USA
Interests: Plecos, Pro Wrestling, Football (Pro & College)

Post by ClayT101 »

I believe it is a version of a Gibbyceps pleco. I bought a "Columbian Spotted" several years ago and it got very large (which gibbys do).
Hope This Helps :D
It's True! It's True!

Southeast Louisiana Aquarium Society: http://www.selas.us
dad

Post by dad »

Thank you ClayT101, that is more info than I have found. I know mine looks simular to a Gibbiceps. The LFS had no info, imagine that! I guess time will tell, it is only about 2 1/2 inches at the moment. It is a very good looking species tho.
Shane
Expert
My articles: 69
My images: 161
My catfish: 75
My cats species list: 4 (i:0, k:0)
My aquaria list: 4 (i:4)
Spotted: 99
Location 1: Tysons
Location 2: Virginia

Post by Shane »

Dad,
ClayT101 is correct. This a morph of Glyptopterichthys gibbiceps which comes from the upper Orinoco. They may also be found in the Rio Atabapo as they often come in to Bogota with shipments of L-52. They are very pretty and are easy to maintain. Mine eats lots of squash and cuccumber. Although this morph comes from black waters, they are very adaptable and adjust to just about any water conditions.
-Shane
"My journey is at an end and the tale is told. The reader who has followed so faithfully and so far, they have the right to ask, what do I bring back? It can be summed up in three words. Concentrate upon Uganda."
Winston Churchill, My African Journey
dad

Post by dad »

Thank You Shane! It is nice to have first hand information. Since what I am going by is the common name that the LFS gave me. Can you give me any identifying traits so I can verify that is what I have? Does this species have its own L number? One difference that I see from the Gibbys, is mine has a rounded tail as instead of the standard shape of the Gibby. So I question whether I have the same species that you are reffering to.

Thanks again!

-D
GER1023
My cats species list: 6 (i:2, k:0)
My aquaria list: 1 (i:0)
Location 1: LA, California
Location 2: Los Angeles County, USA
Interests: Cichlids n Pleco's

Post by GER1023 »

I was going through some of the post and came across yours. There is a difference in the tails because they change as they age they start of rounded but as they grow they become more pointed. I was wondering does yours look just like the one in the pic but smaller???

Return to “South American Catfishes (Loricariidae - Plecos et al)”