Clown Pleco

All posts regarding the care and breeding of these catfishes from South America.
ruthann

Clown Pleco

Post by ruthann »

I have had my Clown Pleco for exactly one week. It has been hiding in the hollowed out portion of the driftwood. May be out at night, don't know. This evening it is out (unusual). Anyway, tonight it seems to be picking on my Panda Cory catfish anytime it is within 2-3" of it. Is this just because the Clown Pleco is new or can I expect to have problems. The Clown Pleco does not seem friendly at all, but could be it's intimidated in the new tank. I read that they are peaceful. If anyone has experience with the Clown Pleco and a Panda Cory, I would appreciate any information. I really really enjoy the Panda Cory and don't want it to be picked on by the "new kid". Thanks so much.
Ben
Location 1: PEI, Canada
Interests: Fish, Computers, Comic Books, Nature

Post by Ben »

they are a nice peacefull cat. However, they like to have a nice dark spot they can claim as thier own. I find mine get a little cranky if somone else is sitting in thier favorite spots. Is it possible the Panda Corie has been playing in your clown's favorite hidy hole? Unline many plecs, clowns prefer to be in groups. Most plecs are best off with only one of thier kind, I find this quite opposite for clowns. I have 4 clowns, and they all share the same dark spot in the tank, and get along well with each other. Maybe yours would be happier with a friend.

If you find his behaviour continies this way, try adding a new "cave". Like a small flower pot, or a new piece of drift/bog wood. Wood is better because it's somthing they can hang upside down on and suck on for the necesary wood fiber in their diet, while still hiding from the light.
ruthann

Clown Pleco

Post by ruthann »

Ben - Thanks for your insight. It will probably get better. I didn't notice too much going on after I posted my message. I'll consider getting another one if it continues. I will get another cubby hole for the clown pleco to hide in...probably needs a change of scenery!
Thanks again!

Return to “South American Catfishes (Loricariidae - Plecos et al)”