50 Gallon big enough ?

Post pictures of your beloved catfish aquaria here. Also good for pictures of your (cat)fish rooms or equipment discussions. If you are posting pictures of identified catfish, please do so in the appropriate husbandry and reproduction forum above.
jurassic_pork
Location 1: midlands U.K

50 Gallon big enough ?

Post by jurassic_pork »

Would a 50 gallon tank be big enough to keep three synodontis eupterus,Two synodontis oceliffier,one common plec and one golden nugget ? tank will have ample filtration.
Tank size will be 35x18x18,liposarcus is currently at about 6 inches with the (L018) at about 4 inches.would this setup be okay with the species included ? Having never kept synos before im wary of how much territory they are likely to want.

Any help with this would be great

Thanks
magnum4
Location 1: UK wirral
Interests: all things aquatic.

Post by magnum4 »

With very good filtration and lots of places to hide, it could accomadate all except the common pleco.
jurassic_pork

Post by jurassic_pork »

Thanks for the help magnum looks like if im gonna start keeping cats i gotta sort some bigger tanks out uh :? lol
corybreed
Expert
I've donated: $54.00!
My catfish: 8
My cats species list: 74 (i:0, k:0)
Spotted: 6
Location 1: Long Island, New York, USA
Location 2: Long Island

50 gallon larg enough

Post by corybreed »

A 50 gallon tank is larger enough as long as you provide ample hiding places. Although synodontis can tollerate occasional lapses in water quality, with good filtration and plenty of water changes the 50 should suit just fine.
pturley
I've donated: $66.00!
My articles: 2
My images: 16
My cats species list: 1 (i:0, k:0)
Spotted: 8
Location 1: Cleveland, Ohio USA

Post by pturley »

IMHO, I would have to disagree with all of the above posts.

Both the Synodontis ocellifer and S. eupterus can be expected to grow 8"+ in length. I can guarantee the Cat-ELog is understating the maximum size for the S. eupterus at least. I have seen S. eupterus, grown in a suitable aquarium (six in a 150 gallon) that were in excess of 8" SL (which does not include the tail!). The Cat-ELog only states 15cm, or 6".

S. ocellifer grows every bit as big.

Add to that both species are fairly territorial, (S. eupterus more so) they'll need some room to run. For the five Synodontis, I'd suggest a 75 gallon at a minimum if they (and possibly a small number of dither fish, Rainbowfish or Tetras) were the only fish in the tank. Preferrably larger.

This is allot of fish for a 50 gallon! I'd start saving if I were you. Near term, you are looking at loads of waterchanges at the very least.
Sincerely,
Paul E. Turley
jurassic_pork

Post by jurassic_pork »

Thanks for the advice on this guy's :lol: helpful as always.
I must admit now that yes i need a larger tank for these fish,I recon if i want to keep syno's i want to do it properly and keep my fish in tip top shape and if that means waiting for a larger tank then so be it.
Thank you for letting me know that the eupterus and ocefiller would get to eight inches because i had checked a few sources and all stating the fish to 6 inch a book i have also describes these as perfect fish for a medium size community tank lol.

All said i have decided to use the 50 for some new L number plecs to join my L018 and maybe even some banjo cats.

Once again thanks for you views on this and wish me luck with getting a 100 Gallon,Just dont tell my better half that will be my fourth tank lol :shock:

Return to “Tank Talk”