L187?

Did you know fantastic help is an anagram of Planet Catfish? This forum is for those of you with pictures of your catfish who are looking for help identifying them. There are many here to help and a firm ID is the first step towards keeping your catfish in the best conditions.
Taratron
I've donated: $40.00!
My cats species list: 1 (i:0, k:0)
Location 1: Arizona, USA
Location 2: Phoenix, AZ
Interests: Fish, herps, the Discworld novels, Invader Zim, and entomology

L187?

Post by Taratron »

I have a rubbermouch (or bulldog) pleco, and over the past four months, his grayish body has developed many fine white spots. No, it's not ich, it appears to be markings, and after looking on this site's Cat-E-Log, I am wondering if anyone DOES have an image of a white-speckled rubbermouth pleco. I simply want to insure that is what mine is, as opposed to a "normal phase."
But if you tame me, then we shall need each other. To me, you will be unique in all the world. To you, I will be unique in all the world..... You become responsible, forever, for what you have tamed.
~Antoine de Saint-Exupery
Silurus
I've donated: $12.00!
My articles: 55
My images: 885
My catfish: 1
My cats species list: 90 (i:0, k:0)
Spotted: 420
Location 1: Singapore
Location 2: Moderator Emeritus

Post by Silurus »

There are bulldog plecs with white spots.
Check these out:
Taratron
I've donated: $40.00!
My cats species list: 1 (i:0, k:0)
Location 1: Arizona, USA
Location 2: Phoenix, AZ
Interests: Fish, herps, the Discworld novels, Invader Zim, and entomology

Post by Taratron »

That's him! :lol: L187, right? Thanks!
But if you tame me, then we shall need each other. To me, you will be unique in all the world. To you, I will be unique in all the world..... You become responsible, forever, for what you have tamed.
~Antoine de Saint-Exupery
Silurus
I've donated: $12.00!
My articles: 55
My images: 885
My catfish: 1
My cats species list: 90 (i:0, k:0)
Spotted: 420
Location 1: Singapore
Location 2: Moderator Emeritus

Post by Silurus »

I'm not any good with L numbers, but I think so.
Was actually trying to find a pic of L188 (which is another white-spotted bulldog plec), but guess I got lucky.
Yann
I've donated: $20.00!
My articles: 8
My images: 280
My cats species list: 81 (i:0, k:0)
My BLogs: 2 (i:3, p:90)
Spotted: 108
Location 1: Switzerland
Location 2: Switzerland
Interests: Catfish mainly form South America, Cichlids, Geckos, Horses WWII airplanes, Orchids

Post by Yann »

Hi!
Well the first pic is L188, Chaetostoma nudirosrte
Regarding the second one I have no idea!
Cheers
Yann
Don't Give Up, Don't Ever Give Up!
Ben
Location 1: PEI, Canada
Interests: Fish, Computers, Comic Books, Nature

Post by Ben »

Yann, I didn't realize the L188 had stripes like this pic does....hmmm, maybe L88 with stress colouration? I know My L187b's have distinct stripes like this, especially the famale...but they have black spots, not white, and no spots on the dorsal fin....
yannfulliquet wrote:Hi!
Well the first pic is L188, Chaetostoma nudirosrte
Regarding the second one I have no idea!
Cheers
Yann
Yann
I've donated: $20.00!
My articles: 8
My images: 280
My cats species list: 81 (i:0, k:0)
My BLogs: 2 (i:3, p:90)
Spotted: 108
Location 1: Switzerland
Location 2: Switzerland
Interests: Catfish mainly form South America, Cichlids, Geckos, Horses WWII airplanes, Orchids

Post by Yann »

Hi Ben!

Well it sure can not be L88, L88 is suppose to be an Ancistrus sp coming from the region of Manaus.
THe fish here pictured is without possible doubt a Chaetostoma
L188 Chaetostoma nudirostre does have white spot and it could be possible that "white bar" appear in stress colouration or on female.
Of course without any correct information about the catching place , it is rather impossible to say something 100% correct. The only thing you can ID for sure is the genus.
I am also not aware of any other Chaetostoma species that have this type of colouration and have another distinctive L# or species name.
Cheers
Yann
Don't Give Up, Don't Ever Give Up!
Ben
Location 1: PEI, Canada
Interests: Fish, Computers, Comic Books, Nature

Post by Ben »

Oops, that was a slip, didn't mean L88, I meant L188 :) My bad :oops:

But you are quite right about it bein g tough to tell what exact Chaestoma is as even with my L187b's I've seen them varrie quite a bit in colouration. My big dominant male only shows his stripes under stress conditions, my smaller male shows his stripes when he's out and a bout in the light, and my female always shows hers...I'm getting the impression that this genius has lots of varrieables...like so many others eh? :wink:
yannfulliquet wrote:Hi Ben!

Well it sure can not be L88, L88 is suppose to be an Ancistrus sp coming from the region of Manaus.
THe fish here pictured is without possible doubt a Chaetostoma
L188 Chaetostoma nudirostre does have white spot and it could be possible that "white bar" appear in stress colouration or on female.
Of course without any correct information about the catching place , it is rather impossible to say something 100% correct. The only thing you can ID for sure is the genus.
I am also not aware of any other Chaetostoma species that have this type of colouration and have another distinctive L# or species name.
Cheers
Yann

Return to “What is my catfish?”