Intraspecific variation in the Clariidae

For the discussion of catfish systematics. Post here to draw our attention to new publications or to discuss existing works.
Silurus
I've donated: $12.00!
My articles: 55
My images: 885
My catfish: 1
My cats species list: 90 (i:0, k:0)
Spotted: 420
Location 1: Singapore
Location 2: Moderator Emeritus

Intraspecific variation in the Clariidae

Post by Silurus »

de Schepper, N., D. Adriaens, G.G. Teugels, S. Devare & W. Verraes, 2004. Intraspecific variation in the postcranial skeleton morphology in African clariids: a case study of extreme phenotypic plasticity. Zoological Journal of the Linnean Society, 140: 437-446.

Abstract
Taxonomic relationships within the Clariidae, especially within the anguilliform species, are currently ambiguous due to the lack of a reliable structure of valid generic and specific characteristics. Based on the information available, it is difficult to properly diagnose the different elongated genera and species; this is due in part to a high degree of variability of certain traits generally considered to be important taxonomically. For example, the caudal skeleton is often considered to be an important diagnostic trait. However, the degree of phenotypic plasticity has not hitherto been adequately assessed. This paper deals with interspecific variation of the caudal skeleton of Clarias gariepinus, Platyallabes tihoni, Platyclarias machadoi, Gymnallabes typus, Channallabes apus and Dolichallabes microphthalmus. The caudal skeleton of C. apus is studied, using specimens from three regions in Gabon. Hypural fusions and haemal and neural spines show most variation. The observed morphological variation appears to be geographically independent, in contrast to other morphological features such as vertebrae.

Return to “Taxonomy & Science News”