Holes in Gibbiceps dorsal fin?

All posts regarding the care and breeding of these catfishes from South America.
jmowreader
Location 1: Fayetteville, NC
Interests: Plecos

Holes in Gibbiceps dorsal fin?

Post by jmowreader »

I've had a sailfin pleco (Glyptoperichs gibbiceps, according to the taxonomic key) for about two years. He lives in a 55 with some Jack Dempseys. Water conditions are good--I had his water tested, and according to the LFS the ammonia, nitrites, nitrates, kH and pH are all acceptable for plecos. Tank furniture consists of two large terracotta pots. I feed him Hikari algae wafers 2x/day and either cucumber or zucchini (it's always in the tank) depending on what's available at the supermarket. The Dempseys get TetraCichlid flakes (they don't like the pellet foods) 2x/day and live swordtails I breed myself just for this purpose 1x/week. He's 14 inches from the tip of his snout to the base of his caudal peduncle.

He also has some holes in the edge of his dorsal fin--an area about half the size of a dime is missing. The spines are still there.

Any ideas?[/i]
tiffnseve
Location 1: MINNEAPOLIS MN

Post by tiffnseve »

Hi,
Did your gibby always have the holes or did they just show up? One of my gibbis had some rips in his dorsal and they have now healed. I just let him be and it grew back in about a month and a half from when I noticed it.
tiff

Return to “South American Catfishes (Loricariidae - Plecos et al)”