Compatibility of various species

Post pictures of your beloved catfish aquaria here. Also good for pictures of your (cat)fish rooms or equipment discussions. If you are posting pictures of identified catfish, please do so in the appropriate husbandry and reproduction forum above.
muridae
Location 1: Philadelphia, PA

Compatibility of various species

Post by muridae »

Okay, I am moving soon and will be setting up my 125 gallon tank, finally yay! I am planning on having it as a cat tank, and wanted to make sure that the species I have will get along with each other.

So far I've got S. angelicus, S. eupterus, and H. brachysoma all living together in one tank, and they all get along alright, although the angelicus is much more active than the other two and seems to irritate them. Small tank, though, so I'd imagine in a much larger space that won't be an issue. My other tank has three common plecos and four A. pectinifrons together, without any problems. I've checked the Cat-eLog and found that they all have overlapping temp and pH ranges, so I guess what I'm really asking for is any kind of advice on things like compatibility, water currents, preferred plants, that kind of stuff.

You think they'll all be good together? My gut says yes but better safe than sorry and fishless.
Silurus
I've donated: $12.00!
My articles: 55
My images: 885
My catfish: 1
My cats species list: 90 (i:0, k:0)
Spotted: 420
Location 1: Singapore
Location 2: Moderator Emeritus

Post by Silurus »

They should be OK together. I've kept the same combination (sans the angelicus) without any problems.
muridae
Location 1: Philadelphia, PA

Post by muridae »

Great, I thought they probably would but I just wanted to make sure that, theoretically at least, there wouldn't be any problems.

What else might I be able to keep in there with them? I have only one eupterus and one angelicus, but I will definitely add a few more eupterus so that I can have a little group, and if I can find more angelicus I'd love to add a few more of those. Maybe a shoal of little cories, too.

A black ghost knife would probably get too large for the tank, wouldn't it? What about a few clown loaches? They also get really large and I've heard aggressive when they're bigger, so I'm not sure they'd be the best choice. I don't really know anything about any other largeish freshwater fish.

Any suggestions for relatively large but peaceful diurnal fish that I will actually be able to see during the day, yet won't get TOO big? I don't want to overload the tank, but I also want a few more fish to make it look extra gorgeous. You know, some that will actually come out during the day. :P

Return to “Tank Talk”