My 72 gallon tank

Post pictures of your beloved catfish aquaria here. Also good for pictures of your (cat)fish rooms or equipment discussions. If you are posting pictures of identified catfish, please do so in the appropriate husbandry and reproduction forum above.
EDGE
Location 1: BC, Canada

My 72 gallon tank

Post by EDGE »

This photo was taken on Jan 1, 04

Image\

The foreground layout have somewhat change over the last week and it is in the process of filling back in.
spiny
Location 1: Oslo,Norway
Interests: Fish,cacti,orchids,botany,biology,being up in the mountains, out in the forest, or sailing the ocean, etc etc

Post by spiny »

That is a nice tank! What kind of lighting do you use? Fluorescent tubes? Quicksilver lamps?
Excellent plantgrowth!
Bjorn H S

"Oh, uh, this..the moon is in the wrong position!"
Ozzy Osbourne
Loric
Location 1: Westcountry UK

Post by Loric »

Lovely tank- nice discus too. What plant do you use as 'ground cover' just left of the centre- I have tried several plant species in my tank but my plecos just go through it like a Flymo.....
EDGE

Post by EDGE »

I use Power Compact flourorsent 4x 55 watt
pressurize co2

The plant from left to right is Sagittaria subulata , Glossostigma elatinoides , Hydrocotyle sibthorpioides (maritima), Lilaeopsis brasiliensis.

I remove most of the hydrocotyle from the front; they get knock out by the discus during feeding time.

The only plants I could see surviving are ferns and anubias. They are not eaten by herbivorous fish and easy to place in the tank. Get them well rooted to a piece of wood or rock before putting them in the tank.
ConKhi
Location 1: USA

Post by ConKhi »

that is a very nice tank. for the discus do you do a water change everyday? if not how often do you do a waterchange. i used to be interested in discus but i heard daily water changes and that put me off.
EDGE

Post by EDGE »

I change about 50-75% water every 2nd day to 5 days depending on my mood and how much other things I have to do.

I dont really mind doing the water change, it is restarting up the equipment that turns me off. I have an external co2 reactor that need to have an air pocket let out each time I do a water change.

A lot of people say that feeding beefheart in a planted tank is messy, but when there is a lot of smaller fish and corydorus, it is not a problem. They will pick up most of the smaller free flowing food that trap in the plants.

The snakeskins you see in the picture is approx 1 yr 2-5 months old, and the pigeons ares -9 months old.

The pigeons, are getting a lot more to eat and the discus mix is a little different. Water change is also more frequent at 2 - 5 days (usually 2-3 days) of 50%-75% instead of the 2-3 days 25%

Return to “Tank Talk”