Sailfins and spotted green algae?

All posts regarding the care and breeding of these catfishes from South America.
felinefishy
Location 1: East Coast of Florida
Interests: all kinds of stuff

Sailfins and spotted green algae?

Post by felinefishy »

Ok, I've owned plecos before, and I have to admit that they were just a necessary janitor in the pond. I've had kinda a bad vibe about them ever since I was a small child. I saved up all my allowance for weeks and bought a knife fish. I loved that fish. Then my neighbor's tank broke, and I allowed him to put his huge pleco in with my baby knife fish. Overnight, no more knife fish. I was heartbroken. But anyway, I know they work hard. I just took two 6 incher's out of the pond which was looking crystal clean with no algae. I was actually worried about them getting enough to eat! Plus, they don't withstand the cold well at all, I learned that the hard way. Now, two weeks later, there is at least an inch thick of algae on the concrete all the way around the pond. Guess those guys weren't so hungry afterall!

Ok, now that I've bored you all, just a simple basic question about sailfins. Do they eat the green algae that looks like little speckles on glass/acrylic tanks? You know, the stuff that is almost impossible to scrub off? BTW, the sailfins are so beautiful they have won me over. The lfs told me they wouldn't get bigger than five inches (baloney), that they could stay in my five and ten gallon tank for a long time (baloney 2 I"m sure), but they are so pretty I'll just have to get a bigger tank. :wink:

Thank you in advance for the info,
Trish
Fish: 4 shubunkins, 4 comets, 4 fancy goldfish, tons of platies, gambusia (oops), 4 cories, 2 baby plecos I think are sailfins, 4 neons, 5 zebra danios (2 of which are glofish), 2 bimaculous (sp?) barbs, one betta, I think that's it.
StiffMeister
Location 1: North of the Netherlands
Interests: duh....

Post by StiffMeister »

they can scrub very hard. so i guess they can eat quite some diff. algaes. btw, u do have quite a lot of fish...
felinefishy

Post by felinefishy »

Yeah, I guess I do have a lot. I have a 5 gallon, 10 gallon, 29 gallon, and a 460 gallon concrete pond. Plus, I think I'm gonna buy a used 20 gallon from my lfs that I've been working at because I overpopulated my ten gallon. I think I will set that one up more for the cories and sailfins (or one of them) and maybe put my zebra danios in there too. And one of these days I'm gonna have to invest in a 55 gallon for my fancy goldfish, I know they will outgrow the 29. I actually bought them for the pond, because I read somewhere that they do good in there, but they don't :( :roll: Anyways, I do have a bunch of fishies. How about you?
Trish
Fish: 4 shubunkins, 4 comets, 4 fancy goldfish, tons of platies, gambusia (oops), 4 cories, 2 baby plecos I think are sailfins, 4 neons, 5 zebra danios (2 of which are glofish), 2 bimaculous (sp?) barbs, one betta, I think that's it.
Shane
Expert
My articles: 69
My images: 161
My catfish: 75
My cats species list: 4 (i:0, k:0)
My aquaria list: 5 (i:5)
Spotted: 99
Location 1: Tysons
Location 2: Virginia

Post by Shane »

Trish,
The only thing I have found that takes care of the little green algae specks is a razor blade. Not even Panaque can scrape this stuff off.
-Shane
"My journey is at an end and the tale is told. The reader who has followed so faithfully and so far, they have the right to ask, what do I bring back? It can be summed up in three words. Concentrate upon Uganda."
Winston Churchill, My African Journey
ikan
Location 1: Australia

plastics card

Post by ikan »

I use a used phone card to clean my glass.
felinefishy

Post by felinefishy »

Hmmm, ok. Well, my glass tanks aren't that bad at all. Here's the rub. My acrylic tank is covered. How the heck can I get it off there without scratching it?
Trish
ps. I posted in the speak easy forum that I couldn't get the sailfins off the glass and onto the zucchini. Two days later, they found it. They were on it all afternoon, and didn't want to let go when I removed it, but it was falling apart!
magnum4
Location 1: UK wirral
Interests: all things aquatic.

Post by magnum4 »

My acrylic tank is covered. How the heck can I get it off there without scratching it?
have you tried a scraper espially for acrylic? kent make a good one.
StiffMeister
Location 1: North of the Netherlands
Interests: duh....

Post by StiffMeister »

also very easy to make. i used to have 1 made of a thin wooden stick with a razorblade attached to it. never scrathes if used normally and its deffo very effective!
felinefishy

Post by felinefishy »

Ok, didn't know they made such a thing, I will go shopping then!

Return to “South American Catfishes (Loricariidae - Plecos et al)”