Taxonomic problem - Zaireichthys

For the discussion of catfish systematics. Post here to draw our attention to new publications or to discuss existing works.
Bathycetopsis
Interests: SYSTEMATICS, BIODIVERSITY, NEW SPECIES

Taxonomic problem - Zaireichthys

Post by Bathycetopsis »

Who transfered Leptoglanis wamiensis Seegers 1989 to the genus Zaireichthys ?
This species is often published under this name...(Aqualog, this Cat e- log)
Exist some scientific work ?

Thanks
Nio
:?:
Erwin
My articles: 1
My images: 6
Spotted: 6
Location 1: Augsburg, Germany
Interests: esp. cichlids, catfish

Post by Erwin »

Bathycetopsis, this is one of the probelms which result of publishing scientific names from unpublished manuscripts! You remember?!

In this case I think this was done by the "Aquarium Atlas" Vol. 4, p.234. I have the German version and try a rough translation of the passage under Leptoglanis wamiensis: "... the here visualised species belongs, according to not yet published new informations, not to the genus Leptoglanis, it belongs to Zaireichthys." There is no ref. given for this statement, nor the author who wrote these sentence within the "Aq. Atlas".

You see, what happens! This information was published repeatedly in other aquaristic sources. But this is not a primarily aquaristic problem. It's mostly scientists who cause these problems. Remember we had in FishBase for years already the new combination-names for some South American species, which were referred to the new check-list, published years before the checklist was really published. Or another example, the just new described cíchlíd-fish Pyxichromis paradoxus, it was for several years announced that this paper will be published in the Bulletin of the Washington Soc. of Science. But in 2003 it was now published with a new co-author in a different journal.

Erwin

PS: By the way Bathycetopsis, your www-link doesn't work!

Return to “Taxonomy & Science News”