Featherfin possibly pregnant?

All posts regarding the care and breeding of catfishes from Africa.
8Worlds
Location 1: Ireland
Location 2: Donegal

Featherfin possibly pregnant?

Post by 8Worlds »

Hi all, new here :d
I recently woke up around 4am to notice my catfish doing something that I'd never seen before, the little one was on top of the larger one and they were playing around for a good 30mins "they are usually quite standoffish around each other".
I've been doing some research and heard that they dont usually breed in captivity but she has gotten a lot more swollen looking.
So a few questions, do they carry the eggs inside them and how long if they do does it take before they come out?
You can see her abdomen in this pic
Thanks for help :-)
naturalart
I've donated: $45.00!
My images: 3
My cats species list: 37 (i:18, k:10)
My aquaria list: 6 (i:3)
My Wishlist: 3
Spotted: 14
Location 1: Oakland
Location 2: California
Interests: catfish, nature

Re: Featherfin possibly pregnant?

Post by naturalart »

Welcome 8worlds. You've got a very healthy looking featherfin there. Congrats. What you probably were observing was how Synodontis eupterus interacts when the lights are out and/or when they feel really comfortable in their environment. They really are a communal species given enough space, the right kind, and places to hide during the day. In the wild they have been observed in schools. It just hard for us as aquarist to replicate that environment in a small aquarium. So most of us are relegated to keeping 1 or 2 (if we're lucky) of them together. Not really being able to see their full social behavior like it is out in the wild.

I wonder if your fish is way to young to become pregnant, how long is the fish? You can sex your fish by looking very, very, very closely at the vent. If its pointed its a male; if its rounded like a soft mound its a female. Check out the description I'm not aware that this fish has ever been bred in an aquarium. That said, nothing is impossible.

The big belly could also be a result of bloating. Fish get indigestion just like people. If thats the case you can try a number of things: 1) stop feeding for a day or 2 and see what happens. Don't worry they wont starve. Many larger fish can go days without feeding. 2) upgrade the quality of your food, and/or mix in some live foods like blackworms, earthworms, zucchini, spinach, sweetpotato. 3) check to see that food isn't just sitting or rotting in the tank and the fish are eating it later on. Good luck
8Worlds
Location 1: Ireland
Location 2: Donegal

Post by 8Worlds »

Hi again and thanks for great informative post, I've had them for about 3yrs now, when I got them they were around and inch in size maybe slightly less, now the one I was hoping I pregnant is about 4-5inches"or add another inch if you count whiskers lol" and the one I assumed male in only a third of her size,
I have the fish tank in our bedroom, because I prefer watching them to soaps, I've attached a pic for you to see size difference albeit a slightly blurry one
Jools
Expert
My articles: 198
My images: 946
My catfish: 237
My cats species list: 87 (i:13, k:1)
My BLogs: 7 (i:7, p:202)
My Wishlist: 23
Spotted: 448
Location 1: Middle Earth,
Location 2: Scotland
Interests: All things aquatic, Sci-Fi, photography and travel. Oh, and beer.

Post by Jools »

Apart from the fact this looks like a male, I'm pretty sure this is just a full belly. Don't feed the tank for a week and it should go down. If it doesn't you may have a case of bloat.

PS The correct term is gravid (full of eggs), pregnancy is totally different thing (see this FAQ) which also applies to .

Jools
Viktor Jarikov
My images: 11
My cats species list: 25 (i:0, k:0)
Spotted: 4
Location 1: Naples, FL
Location 2: USA

Post by Viktor Jarikov »

Yup, most likely simply well fed.

It appears impossible to breed eupterus in captivity by accident.
Thebiggerthebetter
fish-story.com

Return to “African Catfishes”