What am I? Corydoras adolfoi or Corydoras duplicareus?

Did you know fantastic help is an anagram of Planet Catfish? This forum is for those of you with pictures of your catfish who are looking for help identifying them. There are many here to help and a firm ID is the first step towards keeping your catfish in the best conditions.
MarcelS
Location 1: Rotterdam
Location 2: Netherlands

What am I? Corydoras adolfoi or Corydoras duplicareus?

Post by MarcelS »

Hi,

I found this little guy/girl in the "leftovers"/"returns" tank at my local LFS, and I'm wondering what species it is, 'cause I want to find some friends for him/her....
It was sold to me as Corydoras adolfoi, but when I look at the pictures in the cat-e-log it looks more like a Corydoras duplicareus.

Does anyone have any ideas/input on this? Thanks!

Nabobmob1
My articles: 1
My images: 38
My cats species list: 112 (i:39, k:0)
My BLogs: 40 (i:59, p:1622)
Spotted: 18
Location 1: North Chicagoland
Location 2: Northern IL
Interests: Catfish, Beer, Barbeque, Fishing and Music

Re: What am I? Corydoras adolfoi or Corydoras duplicareus?

Post by Nabobmob1 »

at a glance I would say using the rule of thumb on the black band but the band width can be variable. The only way to know for certain is to look for the serrations.

"According to the description C. duplicareus has serrations on the posterior edge of the pectoral fin spine, whereas C. adolfoi does not. This of course is not easy to see in a normal aquarium. The best way to see if your fish have these serrations would be to place them into a shallow, preferably white, container and shine a light up from underneath. Then with the aid of a magnifying glass you should be able to see if there are any serrations or not. As a general rule C. duplicareus tends to be a little stockier than C. adolfoi and the black band is usually a little broader."
MarcelS

Post by MarcelS »

OK, thanks. :)
Time to start searching for some friends for hm/her...
MarcelS

Post by MarcelS »

So, here's a new and related question:

I've been looking around in and emailing LFS's in my area looking for friends for my solo Corydoras duplicareus, and in response to one of my emails I received a picture from a big LFS here in the Netherlands of the fish that they sell as Corydoras duplicareus.

From what I can tell this looks like a Corydoras duplicareus, but what do you guys/girls think?

Duplicareus or Adolfoi?

Karsten S.
My images: 30
Spotted: 20
Location 1: Ludwigsburg - Germany
Location 2: Ludwigsburg - Germany

Post by Karsten S. »

Hi,

as already stated, you cannot ID them safely with pictures only (unless you see the serration on the pectortal spine).
But yes, by the looks C. duplicareus is more probable than C. adolfoi.

Cheers,
--

Karsten

Return to “What is my catfish?”