sexing baby BN's

All posts regarding the care and breeding of these catfishes from South America.
suemack
Location 1: new zealand

sexing baby BN's

Post by suemack »

hi there

any hints on sexing baby bristle noses please. Am hoping to get some on the weekend for my tank - the one's available are very small (about 1 inch or slightly smaller)

thanks - sue
Barbie
Expert
I've donated: $360.00!
My articles: 1
My images: 16
My catfish: 2
My cats species list: 58 (i:0, k:0)
Spotted: 8
Location 1: Spokane, WA
Location 2: USA

Post by Barbie »

I don't think you'll have much luck sexing them at that size. The males tend to have a bit more "cheek" with bristles up the middle of their face, not just around the lips, the females tend to have a pointier nose, but I just went down and looked at the albino bristlenose fry that I have that are just a bit bigger than that, and even with all of the adults to compare to, I wouldn't feel confident about choosing a pair. But on a side note, can you HAVE too many ancistrus? Just buy a few extras!

*shamelessly addicted* :lol:

Barbie
Yann
I've donated: $20.00!
My articles: 8
My images: 277
My cats species list: 81 (i:0, k:0)
My BLogs: 2 (i:3, p:90)
Spotted: 108
Location 1: Switzerland
Location 2: Switzerland
Interests: Catfish mainly form South America, Cichlids, Geckos, Horses WWII airplanes, Orchids

Post by Yann »

Hi!

At this small size there is no possible way to sex them.
Still it is possible to guess which might become a male and which might become a female as the fastest growing fry will likely become males and the other will likely be female...
but it is not a 100% stuff...
Cheers
Yann
Don't Give Up, Don't Ever Give Up!
suemack

Post by suemack »

next question.......if by some miracle I do manage to get male and female am I better getting 2 fish from the same drop/litter/hatching (guppy and dog person here :roll: ) or getting the one and getting another from an unrelated source? Or doesn't it matter - have been line-breeding guppies for ages and have yet to have an inbred 3 eyed guppy be born in the tanks :D

thanks - sue
Yann
I've donated: $20.00!
My articles: 8
My images: 277
My cats species list: 81 (i:0, k:0)
My BLogs: 2 (i:3, p:90)
Spotted: 108
Location 1: Switzerland
Location 2: Switzerland
Interests: Catfish mainly form South America, Cichlids, Geckos, Horses WWII airplanes, Orchids

Post by Yann »

Hi!

Well usually it is a good advice not to mix up fish of the same brood but really it does not matter especially with such highly selectioned and already thousand times consanguine species.
I would take 3-4 instead of 2....
Cheers
Yann
Don't Give Up, Don't Ever Give Up!
suemack

Post by suemack »

thanks Yann - is the male/female ratio important with BN's or is that not important? ..and long term, would I have room in a 29 gall (36 x 15 x 15 inch) tank for 3-4 BN?
cheers - sue
magnum4
Location 1: UK wirral
Interests: all things aquatic.

Post by magnum4 »

and long term, would I have room in a 29 gall (36 x 15 x 15 inch) tank for 3-4 BN?
With enough hidding places this is an acceptable size for 3-4.

Return to “South American Catfishes (Loricariidae - Plecos et al)”