Please ID new Twigs/Farlowellas - first one: Twig A!

Did you know fantastic help is an anagram of Planet Catfish? This forum is for those of you with pictures of your catfish who are looking for help identifying them. There are many here to help and a firm ID is the first step towards keeping your catfish in the best conditions.
parrot1974
My cats species list: 50 (i:18, k:11)
My aquaria list: 5 (i:0)
My BLogs: 7 (i:5, p:284)
Spotted: 16
Location 2: Isle of Wight

Please ID new Twigs/Farlowellas - first one: Twig A!

Post by parrot1974 »

Hi again
Well, it would seem I'm rapidly becoming a Farlowella-obsessive! I went to a (different) LFS today and ended up coming home with two more twigs. These are very definitely different to the 4 I asked about last month and I would really appreciate some help in IDing them.
Just as a quick note, they are at least 30mm smaller than my others but they already have visible odontodes (in the right light) on their rostrums which I guess makes them both boys. When I asked the owner where they came from, he seemed to think Indonesia.
I've been looking through the key in Retzer & Page 1997 & from what I can see, Twig A has the following characteristics but then I get stuck:
- 0-1 median scutes
- 2 rows of abdominal scutes
- median abdominal scute at base of pelvic fins (I think)
Here, I get stuck, as I don't think, looking at side view, that the eye is above the top of the head, which makes me think that I've got something wrong at the beginning.
He is generally very light on top, with a sprinkling of dark spots that is very pretty. Thick dark line down his side. Pale cream/bronze underneath.
I will put some more pictures underneath, but would really appreciate any help anyone can give.
Thanks
Petra
Attachments
Side view
Side view
Ventral view
Ventral view
Head shot from above
Head shot from above
parrot1974

Re: Please ID new Twigs/Farlowellas - first one: Twig A!

Post by parrot1974 »

Here are three more pictures of Twig A. If anyone has any ideas or needs any more/better pictures, please just say!
Thanks again.
Attachments
Ventral view of head
Ventral view of head
Caudal fin - chewed, sadly
Caudal fin - chewed, sadly
Dorsal view
Dorsal view
parrot1974

Post by parrot1974 »

Ah, hang on! Checked out the median scute at the base of the pelvic fins and I don't think mine does have it. Which, with the clear ocellus bar on the caudal fin, would make him F. vittata? Right? Please let me know if I got this one right! :d
Karsten S.
My images: 30
Spotted: 20
Location 1: Ludwigsburg - Germany
Location 2: Ludwigsburg - Germany

Post by Karsten S. »

Hi,

I would say yes, you have F. vittata. It is clearly a member of acus species group and the short pectoral fins and rather long snout exclude other described members.

Cheers,
--

Karsten
parrot1974

Post by parrot1974 »

Thanks, Karsten.
Any help you can give me with Twig B would be appreciated!
Petra

Return to “What is my catfish?”