Wallago micropogon

All posts regarding the care and breeding of catfishes from Asia.
richb
My cats species list: 20 (i:3, k:0)
My aquaria list: 11 (i:0)
My BLogs: 1 (i:0, p:11)
Spotted: 2
Location 2: Latrobe, California, USA

Wallago micropogon

Post by richb »

I was given a Wallago micropogon a couple of months ago. It has settled in and is doing well. Regardless of the species, it is an interesting addition to the big cat collection. Sorry for the poor picture. It is not in a tank that is conducive to photography and I am not a good photographer. I'll try again soon.

If any of you have suggestions or ideas on keeping the fish or what species it is, I'm all ears (eyes).
Attachments
Wallago micropogon6696.jpg
minipol
My cats species list: 29 (i:14, k:0)
My BLogs: 1 (i:0, p:22)
Spotted: 22
Location 2: Belgium

Re: Wallago micropogon

Post by minipol »

Nice specimen. I do hope you have a big tank because he will become huge
richb

Post by richb »

Hi minipol,

Yes, I have a series of larger tanks for it as it grows. Currently, my largest cats (largest at just under 1 m) are in a 4,000 liter aquarium. However, a 2.6 x 8 m x 1 m deep awaits. It is about 16,000 liters.

Regards,

Rich
Viktor Jarikov
My images: 11
My cats species list: 25 (i:0, k:0)
Spotted: 4
Location 1: Naples, FL
Location 2: USA

Post by Viktor Jarikov »

I wrote here http://www.monsterfishkeepers.com/forum ... ght=leerii (page 3, post #22) this about my leerii:

"The problem with mine could have been that he had been fed live before my getting him. When I got him he was already over a foot. Would not eat the first several months (I don't feed live). I practically force-fed him his first piece of fish - it looked like he bit it in self-defence and swallowed it as I got desperate and was "harassing" him around the pond with a piece of fish on a 3' grabber tool. I had another success like that once more. After that he lived in a large clay planter half and ate sporadically when I threw food inside. I could not see what was happening there. Sometimes I felt a strong blow to my tongs but I didn't know whether he was snatching food to eat or defending himself. There were other fish in the pond, so I was never sure he ate. He didn't get skinny though. After about a year, one day he passed away for no reason that I could see, at ~2'. He was one of the strangest fish that I cared for. I could not figure out how to make him happy, comfortable, and thrive... in a 4000 gal pond, 40'x6'x3' with lots of hiding spots, good water, and a 100 of other monster fish around.

This experience made me sad but determined to try again."

These may be helpful:

http://www.monsterfishkeepers.com/forum ... ht=wallago

Thebiggerthebetter
fish-story.com
minipol
My cats species list: 29 (i:14, k:0)
My BLogs: 1 (i:0, p:22)
Spotted: 22
Location 2: Belgium

Post by minipol »

richb wrote:Hi minipol,

However, a 2.6 x 8 m x 1 m deep awaits. It is about 16,000 liters.
Wow, that's a very very big tank and should accomodate the cat nicely ^:)^
richb

Post by richb »

Thank you, Viktor and minipol,

I appreciate comments from both of you.

With a few exceptions, I have found the predatory big cats to be challenging. Starting with a small juvenile and getting a large cat out of it seems to take both skill and luck. I was sad to read of Viktor's experience with a Wallago. As aquarists, we don't always get a good candidate to start with. But, sharing our experiences, good or bad, may help somebody else succeed.

Regards,

Rich
Viktor Jarikov
My images: 11
My cats species list: 25 (i:0, k:0)
Spotted: 4
Location 1: Naples, FL
Location 2: USA

Post by Viktor Jarikov »

It's a rather rarely kept (and reported about?) fish. It could appear my experience was an odd one out. I have not read about anyone else having trouble with them except for weaning them off live foods.

Arapaimag (Michael Bryce) has a few of them. His biggest female is ~10-15 years old, 152 cm and rules his 52,000 gal tank. It killed a lot of other fish, like a 6' arapaima, 3' goonch, and others. He is a member here and on MFK. If you want his input, you have to PM him. He is running 100 tanks at his place, including a 15,000 gal and a 52,000 gal, and he has an aviary above his 52,000 gal tank. He logs in only occasionally.
Thebiggerthebetter
fish-story.com

Return to “Asian Catfishes”