New Hemiarius

For the discussion of catfish systematics. Post here to draw our attention to new publications or to discuss existing works.
Silurus
I've donated: $12.00!
My articles: 55
My images: 885
My catfish: 1
My cats species list: 90 (i:0, k:0)
Spotted: 420
Location 1: Singapore
Location 2: Moderator Emeritus

New Hemiarius

Post by Silurus »

Ng, H. H., 2003. Arius verrucosus, a new species of freshwater ariid catfish (Teleostei: Ariidae) from the Mekong River. Occasional Papers of the Museum of Zoology The University of Michigan, 734: 1-14.

Abstract
Arius verrucosus is a new species from the Mekong River drainage in mainland Southeast Asia. It can be distinguished from other ariids in the region (Sunda shelf) in having the following combination of autapomorphies: dorsal surface of exposed neurocranium ornamented with numerous small tubercles which never coalesce to form irregular radial ridges in adults, pectoral spine extending to a vertical posterior to last dorsal-fin ray (19.6â??23.4 %SL) and ornamented with randomly distributed small tubercles. Together with A. stormii, it is distinguished from other ariids in the region by the following synapomorphies: laterosensory canal system forming a dense anastomosing network on dorsal surfaces of head and body with very long branches spanning at least middle third of flanks, and strongly flattened fin spines. Finally, a unique combination of the following characters further diagnoses it from other ariids in the region: strongly depressed head, strongly projecting shark-like snout partially exposing premaxillary teeth when mouth is closed, palatal teeth in four patches organised into two contiguous groups (separated by a wide medial gap) on each side of anterior part of palate, deeply notched posterior end of supraoccipital, lateral line curving dorsally at caudal-fin base, gill rakers absent on hind aspect of first two gill arches, and head depth 15.5â??16.7% SL.

This should have been placed in Hemiarius instead. I took the conservative route and stuck it in Arius.

Return to “Taxonomy & Science News”