Lost all but 1 of a cory group, now he's stressed....

All posts regarding the care and breeding of these catfishes from South America.
ginagv
My cats species list: 5 (i:3, k:0)
My aquaria list: 1 (i:0)
Location 2: Arizona, USA

Lost all but 1 of a cory group, now he's stressed....

Post by ginagv »

Hi, I hope someone smarter than I has an answer for me. Several months ago I had a disaster go through my tank and lost all but 1 of my CW016 cory. The remaining fella swims up and down the front and side glass almost all the time now, so I know he's stressed. Here's the problem. I would love to find him some more CW016 to play with, but I can't, nor if I did, could I afford them. I have 2 other cory species in the tank, and while he will park with them sometimes, I can tell he's not good being alone. Can anyone recommend a similarly patterned cory that he might accept as his type that I can add to help him? I hate to see him like this.

thanks in advance,

Gina
rmc
My cats species list: 54 (i:6, k:0)
My aquaria list: 8 (i:0)
My BLogs: 21 (i:23, p:909)
Spotted: 5
Location 2: Milwaukee, USA

Re: Lost all but 1 of a cory group, now he's stressed....

Post by rmc »

Hi Gina,

My local aquarium society had Brian Perkins- owner of Wild Peru - Custom Jungle Adventures come speak to us in January. He collects and imports fish on his many visits to Peru and has seen CW016 in the wild. He told us that CW016 typically schools with Corydoras weitzmani. So I think your lonely fish would benefit from being with a group of these. They are not super cheap, but more affordable and more available than CW016. I have a breeding group of C. weitzmani, and I'm growing out a bunch of fry right now, but the biggest I have are maybe 1/2 to 3/4 of an inch and won't be ready to ship for a few months. If you're interested see if you can find some, if you're having trouble finding them send me a message I'll see if I can help.
ginagv

Post by ginagv »

thank you so much for your reply. I've been looking, and so far I have been unable to locate any C. weitzmani for sale so far. I hope I can find some friends for this lil fella.

Gina
rmc

Post by rmc »

I'll keep an eye out and let you know if I see any online. In the mean time I'll try to get my C.weitzmani fry to grow fast! The last group of C.weitzmani I raised to adults really took off after a few months so if these go the same direction it shouldn't be too long.
rmc

Post by rmc »

Hi Gina
were you able to find any C. weitzmani or more CW016's for your lone fish?
ginagv

Post by ginagv »

No, not yet. I really can't afford much, and the CW016 are very expensive.. (why is it my inexpensive fish I got at a local store live on and on, but the very expensive group I had shipped died?? sigh..) Its just ironic.. anyways, I am sort of looking for the weitzmani but not overly vigorously. But then again, I have no idea how much the weitzmani are anyway, and won't know until I find some :d

Im really anxious about shipping fish in right now anyway because I'm in Arizona and it's freakin' HOT!

Gina
rmc

Post by rmc »

Makes sense! It's hot way up here in Wisconsin today too! I haven't found any C. weitzmani for sale lately either, they typically sell for around $10 to $15 a fish, but I've seen them cheaper. I bought mine around $9 a piece.

Cheers,

Rob
Supercorygirl
My cats species list: 13 (i:0, k:0)
My aquaria list: 3 (i:0)
My BLogs: 3 (i:1, p:124)
Location 2: Devon, AB, Canada

Post by Supercorygirl »

From reading the previous posts, I'm wondering if panda corys might not work just as well as they do look fairly similiar, well not quite but might be a possibility? I would also cruise through your lfs "bronze" tanks, I find all sorts of hidden gems mislabelled as bronze or peppered. At a pj pets store I got my hands on some carlae's that had come in as peppered, unfortunately all were male but might help the poor guy. ;))
No good fish goes anywhere without a porpoise. - Lewis Carroll
donpetty
My cats species list: 46 (i:32, k:0)
My aquaria list: 2 (i:0)
My BLogs: 13 (i:8, p:464)
Location 1: West Richland, WA
Location 2: West Richland,WA
Interests: Loricarids,Corydoras and relations,Rainbows, Hillstream loaches.

Post by donpetty »

Hi Gina,
Are you still looking for C.weitzmani? :-\
The closest supplier out west (Close to us both) that currently has a good supply of tank raised 1.25"
C. weitzmani is the Wetspot, in Portland, OR
Here is a link:
http://www.wetspottropicalfish.com/index.php/fish
Anthony Perry is a good guy and will treat you fairly.
:d
Take Care,
Don

Return to “South American Catfishes (Callichthyidae - Corys et al)”