will loud filter noise harm fish?

Post pictures of your beloved catfish aquaria here. Also good for pictures of your (cat)fish rooms or equipment discussions. If you are posting pictures of identified catfish, please do so in the appropriate husbandry and reproduction forum above.
sophiecat
My cats species list: 3 (i:0, k:0)
My aquaria list: 2 (i:0)
Spotted: 3
Location 1: NA
Location 2: Utah, USA

will loud filter noise harm fish?

Post by sophiecat »

My Penguin 200 power filter is making a lot of noise; I think I damaged the impeller. Anyway, I ordered a new impeller assembly; it is going to take a few days to come in the mail. The pump is working, but will the noise stress the fish? I have already tried cleaning and reasembling it a few times; I think I must have damaged the rubber on one end of the impeller. (Several months ago, when the power filter was still under warranty, it started making a lot of noise, and the company sent me a new impeller, which solved the problem.)
Shane
Expert
My articles: 69
My images: 161
My catfish: 75
My cats species list: 4 (i:0, k:0)
My aquaria list: 4 (i:4)
Spotted: 99
Location 1: Tysons
Location 2: Virginia

Re: will loud filter noise harm fish?

Post by Shane »

These filters last many years, but as you learned the rubber on the ends of the impeller goes bad (it turns hard, does not fit tightly, and makes a racket as it bounces around in the filter housing)) every 3-4 years requiring the impeller to be replaced. I have been stuck using a noisey one for several weeks and did not see any negatives impact on the fishes. That said I would replace it as soon as you can.
-Shane
"My journey is at an end and the tale is told. The reader who has followed so faithfully and so far, they have the right to ask, what do I bring back? It can be summed up in three words. Concentrate upon Uganda."
Winston Churchill, My African Journey
andyC
My cats species list: 12 (i:0, k:0)
Location 1: northeast
Location 2: northeast uk
Interests: i keep bristle noise cat fish and i also breed corydoras cat fish bronze and paleatus which are all breeding at the moment

Re: will loud filter noise harm fish?

Post by andyC »

i have made repairs on filters were the rubber
caps ware out at each end of the impeller by using
some air line or some small bore rubber pipe you sometimes
get in puncture repair kits and you can also find it in
fishing tackle shops hope this helps
just because a tank looks clean it doesn't
mean its safe

Return to “Tank Talk”