Compatible fish with Pimelodus Pictus

All posts regarding the care and breeding of these catfishes from South America.
webster10153
Location 1: Indianapolis
Interests: Freshwater aquariums, The 3 Investigators ???

Compatible fish with Pimelodus Pictus

Post by webster10153 »

Hi,

Next month I will be getting a 55 gallon aquarium, and my wife and I are set on getting pictus catfish, probably 5 or 6. We want to know what other large fish would be compatible with them? I have read that they are compatible with most fish, just not neon size fish.

I was thinking maybe:
Rainbow Fish
Gouramis
Angels

Would any of these be ok? Any others?

Thanks........Dale
"You can have everything in life you want, if you will just help enough other people get what they want" - Zig Ziglar
Silurus
I've donated: $12.00!
My articles: 55
My images: 885
My catfish: 1
My cats species list: 90 (i:0, k:0)
Spotted: 420
Location 1: Singapore
Location 2: Moderator Emeritus

Post by Silurus »

Actually, they will eat neon-sized fishes.
Your choices are fine.
Read this for other fishes to consider.
JohnnyOscar
Location 1: London, UK

Post by JohnnyOscar »

I've got four pim pictus in a 35 gallon tank with four dwarf gouramis, a small sailfin pleco (which will soon outgrow this tank), a couple of Kuhli loach, a shoal of tiger barbs and 20 or so red juwel fry that I'm still trying to peddle to the local LFSs. Hopefully I will sell the juwels next week...

The tank is heavily planted.

The pim pictus are thriving in there -- active and very healthy-looking. Feeding time is pretty dramatic, especially when they get bloodworm. From what I've been reading, though, my tiger barbs are supposed to go mental soon and kill everything and then themselves. We'll see... :wink:

If you are setting up a new tank, I'd wait at least a month, preferably longer, before adding the pim pictus. Cycle the tank with something else, such as gouramis or hardy barbs.
JohnnyOscar
Location 1: London, UK

Post by JohnnyOscar »

I would also suggest that you plant plenty of broad-leaved plants for your pim pictus tank. My P. pictus spend most of their time hovering just above, or just below, the broadest leaves.
webster10153
Location 1: Indianapolis
Interests: Freshwater aquariums, The 3 Investigators ???

Post by webster10153 »

Thanks for all your help :D
"You can have everything in life you want, if you will just help enough other people get what they want" - Zig Ziglar

Return to “South American Catfishes (Everything else)”