otoc's in a discus tank?

All posts regarding the care and breeding of these catfishes from South America.
milton

otoc's in a discus tank?

Post by milton »

does anybody know if the above two are compatible as i'm thinking of getting some more small catfish to add to my planted discus tank - 6 discus,1 bristlenose with about 10 tetras.
thx in advance
Sid Guppy
Location 1: Brabant, the Netherlands
Interests: Catfish, Tanganyikan fish, Rock'n'roll, Fantasy

Post by Sid Guppy »

I think perhaps the temperature suitable for the Discus (27-30'C) might be a bit too high for the Oto's.

And there are those stories that keep surfacing about Oto's sucking up to slow, flattened fish like Discus, but I don't know if those are true.....

Some other Pleco's can cope better with the high temperature, Glyptopterichthys joselimaianus for example. Looks like a spotted Gibby, but doesn't grow nearly as big.

Another good Pleco for a Discustank might be captive bred Sturisoma "aureum".
Plan B should not automatically be twice as much explosives as Plan A
STINGRAY
Location 1: WEST MIDS
Interests: CATFISH AND RAYS

Post by STINGRAY »

We have kept ottos in tanks with discus and they age very rapidly resulting in untimely deaths. Although the Sturisoma are nice and will be fine in these temps they tend to attack the discus and cause there deaths instead. Slowly acclimatize some clown pleco and try them instead or some Royal Pleco's.
Kostas
I've donated: $256.00!
My images: 19
My cats species list: 14 (i:0, k:0)
My aquaria list: 1 (i:1)
Spotted: 6
Location 1: Greece,Athens
Location 2: Greece,Athens
Interests: Fishkeeping,diving,skiing,r/c modeling,growing Palm trees,ferns and tropical plants

Post by Kostas »

Hi,
Never put a royal pleco into a diskus tank if you love your Diskus.They tend to suck on flat bodied slow fish which enter their territory,stressing them alot and living them open to infections.
Clown plecos is a good solution,they dont eat plants and they dont suck on other fishes.

Return to “South American Catfishes (Loricariidae - Plecos et al)”