How often & what do you feed your B. Juruense?

All posts regarding the care and breeding of these catfishes from South America.
characinkid
I've donated: $27.00!
My cats species list: 10 (i:3, k:8)
My aquaria list: 2 (i:0)
My BLogs: 4 (i:3, p:202)
My Wishlist: 5
Spotted: 10
Location 1: New England USA
Location 2: NH USA

How often & what do you feed your B. Juruense?

Post by characinkid »

Hi All,

I have a group of 3 B. Juruense... one about 14in and 2 about 7 inches. I feed them about 4-5 times a week with Night crawlers (worms), frozen shrimps & Frozen fish. I do not feed alot at each feeding but enjoy watching them feed.. gives me a chance to have a good look at them.

I was wondering how often other people feed there large pims... and what is on the menu? I have thought about all kinds of other food including clams/and even veggies, but have yet to try them....

Would like to hear from others about what the diet entails... and how often.

Thanks in advance....
S. Allen
Location 1: Colorado Springs, USA
Interests: Fish: catfish, discus, stingrays. Alcohol: Vodka, Gin, Rum, Beer, Cider. Tobacco: cigars, pipe, hookah/shisha. Dogs, Literature, Music

Post by S. Allen »

my b. juruense is a baby at 5 inches. he's fond of anything that falls in the tank, but too small, at this point to be eating worms, unless i cut them up and I don't have a sharp knife I'm willing to use on worms. Currently he's eating mostly spirulina flakes and shrimp pellets, not particularly interested in bloodworms, may be too small for him. He grows great on that diet and proudly displays his buddha belly after every feeding.

My other big pim, a tigrinus, gets much different food, same stuff as the rays. Bay scallops chopped seem to be a favorite, salad shrimp, small pieces of frozen fish, squid, clam, hikari's sinking pellets and carnivore pellets, JumboMin from tetra, and he has a strange affinity for Emerald Entree... I do feed earthworms in that tank, but oddly enough he won't eat them unless a ray's bitten it in half for him... guess he can't smell it very well if not, I dunno.
STINGRAY
Location 1: WEST MIDS
Interests: CATFISH AND RAYS

Post by STINGRAY »

Smaller specimens of this family usually feed frequently, hence the growth rate. But as they mature they usually slow down a bit with there requirements. One thing we do notice sometimes is they stop feeding altogether. So a bit of incouragement is often required in the form of a live meal usually some poor cichlid.

Return to “South American Catfishes (Everything else)”