Ancistrus xenocara

Did you know fantastic help is an anagram of Planet Catfish? This forum is for those of you with pictures of your catfish who are looking for help identifying them. There are many here to help and a firm ID is the first step towards keeping your catfish in the best conditions.
Juan_P
Location 1: Panamá, city of Panamá

Ancistrus xenocara

Post by Juan_P »

Hello Im from Panama, im new in the forum, my name is Juan Pablo, I have buy a "pleco" under the name of Ancistrus xenocara.

here some pictures

what is the real name of this fish?

here is another Loricarido of my collection

an hipancistrus inspector (i think)

if you see the pectoral fin of this fish, the left fin is damage, I buy it yesterday, the i buy it at 2.50 dollars, because was the ugliest, but with good atention he will be pretty. the fin will grow again?

jejeje my english is not wery good, I hope you can understand me.

thanks

saludos
Plec0maniac
Location 1: Manila, Philippines

Post by Plec0maniac »

ur hypan. luks like an L005 to me.. but im not sure :)
Too many gorgeous loricariids
So hard to obtain! Grrr....
Shane
Expert
My articles: 69
My images: 161
My catfish: 75
My cats species list: 4 (i:0, k:0)
My aquaria list: 5 (i:5)
Spotted: 99
Location 1: Tysons
Location 2: Virginia

Post by Shane »

Hola Juan,
El secundo corroncho si es Hypancistrus inspector. Ancistrus xenocara no es un nombre cientifico valido. Ancistrus es un nombre de un genero cientifico y Xenocara es el nombre viejo de el mismo genero. Me parece que tiene un especie de el genero Ancistrus pero es casi impossible distinguir entre los varios especies sin informacion sobre exactamente de donde vienen. He visto un especies muy similar de Amazonas y estoy casi seguro que esta especies es de Amazonas.
-Shane
"My journey is at an end and the tale is told. The reader who has followed so faithfully and so far, they have the right to ask, what do I bring back? It can be summed up in three words. Concentrate upon Uganda."
Winston Churchill, My African Journey
Pleco33
Location 1: México.
Interests: Loricariidae

Post by Pleco33 »

Hello, I told him the same thing because I have a couple of Hypancistrus inspector and their color pattern hasn't changed to much during the adult stage, but He didn't believe me :wink: .

About the next one..mm m Iam not really sure, I need to think about it. :shock:

Nice to see you here Juan_P :D

SAludo2 8)
Juan_P

Post by Juan_P »

Hola Shane, gracias

mira le he preguntado a el tio de la tienda y me dice que esos peces son pedidos en un distribuidor del peru. quiza sea de algun rio de por alla, quizas del nanay

hola pleco no es que no te creyera solo que soy de los que le gusta escuchar opiniones de varias personas, ademas puse este mensaje aqui antes que estuviesemos seguros de que era un inspector, yo confio mucho en tu palabra :roll:

por ahi los deleitare con algunas fotos de ancistrus chagresis y otros loricaridos de la region

you guys will see me here a lot, I want to learn more about Loricarids, and I think this is the right place to do it.

saludos!
Pleco33

Post by Pleco33 »

Don't worry Juan-P .
It's ok..because we are not the only who likes these gorgeous sp. Not only can you find people interested in this sp. here but also in Dr.Pez. The reason that I haven´t been writting to much here is that I am shy :oops: .

SAludo2 :wink:
Juan_P

Post by Juan_P »

Well today i was viewing my Ancistrus sp. and I notice a kind of ver smal "hairs" (about 1 mm or 2 mm ) in all the contour of its head, maybe this will help with the id of this ancistrus

is like this

the hairs are not red.

saludos
Silurus
I've donated: $12.00!
My articles: 55
My images: 885
My catfish: 1
My cats species list: 90 (i:0, k:0)
Spotted: 420
Location 1: Singapore
Location 2: Moderator Emeritus

Post by Silurus »

Unfortunately, this doesn't help much, as all Ancistrus have these structures.
Pleco33

Post by Pleco33 »

Well, I think that the Ancistrus sp. is http://www.planetcatfish.com/catelog/lo ... /147_f.htm Ancistrus punctatus. I think so. :wink:

Bye. 8)
Juan_P

Post by Juan_P »

well may be but the white points are smaller and the tail of my ancistrus is more longer but they look like the same.
how can I diference the sex of this ancistrus

saludos
Shane
Expert
My articles: 69
My images: 161
My catfish: 75
My cats species list: 4 (i:0, k:0)
My aquaria list: 5 (i:5)
Spotted: 99
Location 1: Tysons
Location 2: Virginia

Post by Shane »

Juan,
My question is why are you not out catching your own Ancistrus? Then we could identify the sp. since we would know where it came from and we could get photos of new spp. from you for the website.
-Shane
"My journey is at an end and the tale is told. The reader who has followed so faithfully and so far, they have the right to ask, what do I bring back? It can be summed up in three words. Concentrate upon Uganda."
Winston Churchill, My African Journey
Juan_P

Post by Juan_P »

ok later I will try to catch him, what kind of shoot you recomend me, with the ancistrus out of the water?

saludos
Silurus

Post by Silurus »

Umm, Juan, I think Shane meant for you to go to a nearby river and catch Ancistrus from there, not the one in your tank.
T
Location 1: Bonnie Scotland

Post by T »

I have the same fish(or very similar)to yours in the top pic.I could never find an ID for it though.

Juan_P

Post by Juan_P »

Looks very similar T. may be thats the same specie of mine.

well about fishing loricarids, I have a freind that is biologo, he invites me to a collect specimens of fishes, when i go i promisse post the pictures of the trip,

he have capture Ancistrus chagresis and other loricarids (I forgot the names, i will ask him later)

for my part I have capture some Aequidens coeruleopunctatus (common name: chogorro)

I will put some pictures of the ancistrus chagresis later.

saludos
Silurus

Post by Silurus »

I will put some pictures of the ancistrus chagresis later.
We look forward to that, and hope that the pics will even make it to the Cat-eLog.

Return to “What is my catfish?”