Zeolite & Cats

Post pictures of your beloved catfish aquaria here. Also good for pictures of your (cat)fish rooms or equipment discussions. If you are posting pictures of identified catfish, please do so in the appropriate husbandry and reproduction forum above.
Alan
My images: 2
Spotted: 1
Location 1: Teesside

Zeolite & Cats

Post by Alan »

I've been told that zeolite is often used as cat litter, and that it is really good for "soaking up" ammonia. The only (unscented, unbleached) cat litter that I've seen is something called sepiolite. Is this the same stuff as zeolite, if it isn't can it be used in the same way, and finally, does anyone know which cat litter (if any) does use pure zeolite? I've been recommended putting a small bag of zeolite in a tank as I move my big giraffe cat to his new home, to keep the ammonia down.
RickE
I've donated: $20.00!
My cats species list: 7 (i:1, k:0)
My aquaria list: 2 (i:2)
My BLogs: 1 (i:0, p:1)
Location 2: Watford, UK

Re: Zeolite & Cats

Post by RickE »

Hi Alan

You would be safer using zeolite designed for aquaria, most shops sell it. this is an example:

http://www.aquarium-parts.co.uk/acatalog/Zeolite.html

Rick
Rick
MatsP
My articles: 4
My images: 28
My cats species list: 117 (i:33, k:0)
My aquaria list: 10 (i:8)
My BLogs: 4 (i:0, p:97)
Spotted: 187
Location 1: North of Cambridge
Location 2: England.

Post by MatsP »

I agree with RickE.

You may also want to consider a battery/12V air-pump and a sponge filter (matured by keeping in the current tank).

Also, I wouldn't feed the fish for a few days before transport, and bear in mind that 2.5 hours isn't THAT long.

--
Mats
Alan

Post by Alan »

MatsP wrote: You may also want to consider a battery/12V air-pump and a sponge filter (matured by keeping in the current tank).
I'm already onto that; I'm going to use a 650W inverter (running from the car battery) with an air pump and filter (poss Fluval 4+) with media from the tank's filter. I'm even considering how I could suspend a Rena Smart Heater high up near the waterline (so no burns on the fish) with the outflow of the fluval running through it. But I may scrap that bit.
Last edited by Alan on 21 Jan 2010, 21:58, edited 1 time in total.
Alan

Post by Alan »

MatsP wrote: I wouldn't feed the fish for a few days before transport, and bear in mind that 2.5 hours isn't THAT long.
Regular as clockwork, every time I do a water change in his tank he goes to the loo (think medium dog sized fish, so a big poo!) so I'm going to do a water change a couple of days before, then not feed him again.
MatsP
My articles: 4
My images: 28
My cats species list: 117 (i:33, k:0)
My aquaria list: 10 (i:8)
My BLogs: 4 (i:0, p:97)
Spotted: 187
Location 1: North of Cambridge
Location 2: England.

Post by MatsP »

Alan wrote:
MatsP wrote: You may also want to consider a battery/12V air-pump and a sponge filter (matured by keeping in the current tank).
I'm already onto that; I'm going to use a 650W inverter (running from the car battery) with an air pump and filter (poss Fluval 4+) with media from the tank's filter. I'm even considering how I could suspend a Rena Smart Heater high up near the waterline (so no burns on the fish) with the outflow of the fluval running through it. But I may scrap that bit.
If you are building a box yourself, why not just line it with polystyrene before you put the liner in - it's only going to cost a few quid for a 25mm, 600 x 2400 or 1200 x 2400 sheet (and you probably want to line the box anyways to avoid any scuffing/wearing of the pond-liner. And if you make a lid too, it will loose very little heat. Run the heater in the car, and you should arrive with a fish that is in nice water.

--
Mats

Return to “Tank Talk”