1320 liter clearwater biotope

Post pictures of your beloved catfish aquaria here. Also good for pictures of your (cat)fish rooms or equipment discussions. If you are posting pictures of identified catfish, please do so in the appropriate husbandry and reproduction forum above.
2wheelsx2
I've donated: $20.00!
My cats species list: 71 (i:3, k:0)
My aquaria list: 4 (i:3)
Location 1: Burnaby, BC, Canada
Location 2: BC, Canada
Interests: motorcycles, tropical fish, car detailing

Re: 1320 liter clearwater biotope

Post by 2wheelsx2 »

What size are they now?
Haavard Stoere
My articles: 3
My images: 65
My cats species list: 22 (i:0, k:0)
My aquaria list: 10 (i:9)
Spotted: 16
Location 1: Norway, Stavanger

Post by Haavard Stoere »

Most of them are 15-17cm tl. Slight sexual dimorphism (pectoral fin and gill cover odontodes) is starting to show.
Kostas
I've donated: $256.00!
My images: 19
My cats species list: 14 (i:0, k:0)
My aquaria list: 1 (i:1)
Spotted: 6
Location 1: Greece,Athens
Location 2: Greece,Athens
Interests: Fishkeeping,diving,skiing,r/c modeling,growing Palm trees,ferns and tropical plants

Post by Kostas »

Really awesome tank Haavard!!!! :D Well done!!! :) I am sure only you make it so perfect! :thumbsup:
I enjoyed your whole construction thread thread very much! Its great to have so much free time in your hands to finish such a demanding project so fast! :)

The last stone you added really gave a different,imposing look to the scenery...It was very natural looking without it and its very natural looking with it too,it just changed the scheme to a more imposing one! :)

I have also kept and i am currently keeping Hemiancistrus subviridis and Baryancitrus demantoides and i agree with Haavard that the Baryancistrus are very lively plecos and arent really afraid of anything once they settle and get to know you! The Hemiancistrus,once they get to know you,are eager to come out and you get to see them a lot too but they tend to be much more causious than the Baryancistrus and prefer to rest in shelter and are flighty if something scares them. The Baryancistrus have no problem just resting on the woods(i have huge woods which offer overhead protection) or touring the tank slowly even in brightly lit areas without being nervous like the Hemiancistrus. I enjoy and see them both very much though and i am very happy that they dont chase plecos of other species much,they only go after their own species even though these 2 species look so much alike :)
Flyfisher
My cats species list: 1 (i:0, k:0)
Location 1: Reading, Berkshire, UK
Location 2: Uk

Post by Flyfisher »

Hi Kostas,
Can you tell me what kind of water you keep your high fins in please?
And how many you have together? As well as what other plecos you keep with them?
Cheers :-)
Kostas
Interests: Fishkeeping,diving,skiing,r/c modeling,growing Palm trees,ferns and tropical plants

Post by Kostas »

Hi Flyfisher :)

I keep my Baryancistrus demantoides in very soft(50-60mS for rainny season and arround 128mS for dry season,max),highly stained by woods water. Water is surely acidic but i dont know exact values as my pH meter needs calibration :roll:
I currently keep only 2 of them together and i think they must be a pair as they have never fighted. Baryancistrus can chase others of their kind pretty badly and stress them to death,i have seen how persistantly they chase others of their kind and stress them out,especially when there are only few in a tank. But my 2 never chased each other :D I keep them in my 2meter tank along with 3 Hemiancistrus subviridis,1 Panaque L190 ''Llanos'' and 1 Panaque cochliodon and they all get along great! I had some shredded fins from the Blue eye in the past but as time passes things get quiter and now i rarely see any fight mark :)

Cheers! :wink:
MatsP
My articles: 4
My images: 28
My cats species list: 117 (i:33, k:0)
My aquaria list: 10 (i:8)
My BLogs: 4 (i:0, p:97)
Spotted: 187
Location 1: North of Cambridge
Location 2: England.

Post by MatsP »

Kostas, I'm pretty sure you mean 50-60 microSiemens, not 50-60milliSiemans - should be written with the Greek μ [I hope that "works" for others], but most people cheat and use a small u. The letter m is used for milli.

--
Mats
Kostas

Post by Kostas »

Mats,you are quite correct,i meant microSiemens,if they were milliSiemens it would have been quite a lot actually! :) I know they are written μS,with a small Greek μ but for the moment it slipped my mind :oops: My conductivity meter cheats and uses a u instead of an μ too... :)

Thanks for correcting me! :)
Haavard Stoere
My articles: 3
My images: 65
My cats species list: 22 (i:0, k:0)
My aquaria list: 10 (i:9)
Spotted: 16
Location 1: Norway, Stavanger

Post by Haavard Stoere »

Kostas wrote: The last stone you added really gave a different,imposing look to the scenery...It was very natural looking without it and its very natural looking with it too,it just changed the scheme to a more imposing one! :)
Thank you Costas:) The stone was rather challenging as it had to cover all the piping in the corner.

The tank is not finished yet. Some more rocks are needed, and I will redo all the caves as I would like the concrete tecture and shapes to match the rocks better.
2wheelsx2
I've donated: $20.00!
My cats species list: 71 (i:3, k:0)
My aquaria list: 4 (i:3)
Location 1: Burnaby, BC, Canada
Location 2: BC, Canada
Interests: motorcycles, tropical fish, car detailing

Post by 2wheelsx2 »

I keep coming back to this tank as an inspiration. I have a chance to get some more Baryancistrus Demantoides this weekend, so I am going to try to pick them up. I'm hoping to have a community as nice as yours (in terms of fish - no aquasape). I'm also thinking of keeping them with a couple of L240's also.
Jarrah
Location 2: Sydney, Australia

Post by Jarrah »

Hi,

Sorry to bring up this old thread again,

You have truly inspired me to build something of this scale!
I have been thinking about it for a while and have done research here and there.

I am looking to build a 2400x750x750. similar setup to yours but a bit of driftwood and a few basic plants, rocky slate shelfs/walls and lots of caves etc...
I hope to keep plecos and discus and a few characins as well.

I was just wondering what your full stock list is for this beautiful setup of yours :D

Thanks

Jarrah

Return to “Tank Talk”