Science News: Callichthyidae - Corydoras areio

For the discussion of catfish systematics. Post here to draw our attention to new publications or to discuss existing works.
Silurus
I've donated: $12.00!
My articles: 55
My images: 885
My catfish: 1
My cats species list: 90 (i:0, k:0)
Spotted: 420
Location 1: Singapore
Location 2: Moderator Emeritus

Science News: Callichthyidae - Corydoras areio

Post by Silurus »

Synopsis by Erwin Schraml

In "Aktuell," the magazine of the German aquarium clubs, Joachim Knaak has published a new Corydoras description. The new species is named Corydoras areio and is found in the Córr. Areio-System, Mato Grosso, east of Cuiaba, Brazil. The author mentions that this species was illustrated in Aqua Magazine in the article "The River Vogue" issue 1994/95 pages 25- 32 and was labelled as Corydoras sp. "Gappin". No pictures of this new species are found in the Aqualog book or in other German publications. The fish has not received a "C" code-number yet. The article also includes observations in the aquarium together with a spawning report! Colour photographs of the species, both adult and juveniles, are also included.

Reference: Knaak J. (2000): Eine weitere neue Art der Gattung Corydoras LACEPEDE, 1803 aus dem Mato Grosso (Pisces, Siluriformes, Callichthyidae). Aquaristik Aktuell 2/2000: 45-56.

Return to “Taxonomy & Science News”