Science News: Callichthyidae - Fry patterns in Corydoras

For the discussion of catfish systematics. Post here to draw our attention to new publications or to discuss existing works.
Silurus
I've donated: $12.00!
My articles: 55
My images: 885
My catfish: 1
My cats species list: 90 (i:0, k:0)
Spotted: 420
Location 1: Singapore
Location 2: Moderator Emeritus

Science News: Callichthyidae - Fry patterns in Corydoras

Post by Silurus »

Synopsis by Shane Linder

In a recent paper published in Bulletin Zoölogisch Museum (Universiteit van Amsterdam) Ian Fuller discusses fry patterns in long-snouted Corydoras of the "acutus" group. Ian spawned and raised seven species of this group and recorded the change of color patterns as the fry matured. This information is very useful since adult members of the "arcuatus" group are difficult to tell apart. The species spawned, and fry patterns recorded, were for Corydoras acutus, C. blochi blochi, C. septentrionalis, C. treitlii, C. amapaensis, C. ellisae, and C. stenocephalus. Ian's studies show that, while adults of this species group may appear very similar to the naked eye, the fry of each species has a very distinctive color pattern that allows for easy identification.

Also included in the article are water parameters of the spawning tanks and specific data on the spawning of each species. Important data such as average number of eggs laid, number of eggs produced per female, adhesiveness, egg diameter, and hatching time are carefully recorded for all seven Corydoras. The article is also lavishly illustrated with 21 figures of the Corydoras fry at various ages.

Reference: Fuller, I. 1999. The fry patterns in the South American catfish genus Corydoras (Pisces, Siluriformes, Callichthyidae). Bulletin Zoölogisch Museum 17 (94): 33-40.

Return to “Taxonomy & Science News”