Zebra Eggs Kicked out Of Cave are they fertile

All posts regarding the care and breeding of these catfishes from South America.
doctorzeb
My images: 8
My catfish: 2
Spotted: 5
Location 1: Southwest Scotland
Interests: A healthy obsession with Zebras and some overkeen enthusiasm for doing up an old derilict house!

Zebra Eggs Kicked out Of Cave are they fertile

Post by doctorzeb »

Hey guys, just as suspected, the eggs were out of the cave this morning.

I've put them in an aereated breeder just in case but I'm not sure if there fertile or not. Three look possible. any ideas.

cant get the image thing to work so here's the link
http://www.qems.biz/zebraeggs.htm

Does the white indicate fertility, as you can see there is only one that is white.

I have them next to an air stone. Don't know if the male has any left!

cheers rob
My wife made the mistake of buying me a 2 ft tank and it grew to 7ft.
Silurus
I've donated: $12.00!
My articles: 55
My images: 885
My catfish: 1
My cats species list: 90 (i:0, k:0)
Spotted: 420
Location 1: Singapore
Location 2: Moderator Emeritus

Post by Silurus »

Very likely not. The white in the egg means that the egg protein is starting to break down.
doctorzeb
Interests: A healthy obsession with Zebras and some overkeen enthusiasm for doing up an old derilict house!

Zebra Eggs

Post by doctorzeb »

Cheers Silirius

It was kind of what I was expecting as it was her first spawn, but you can still dream!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

You never know, maybe he's got a couple in his cave!!!

cheers Rob
Yann
I've donated: $20.00!
My articles: 8
My images: 275
My cats species list: 81 (i:0, k:0)
My BLogs: 2 (i:3, p:90)
Spotted: 108
Location 1: Switzerland
Location 2: Switzerland
Interests: Catfish mainly form South America, Cichlids, Geckos, Horses WWII airplanes, Orchids

Post by Yann »

Hi!

Before throwing away the 3 non white, wait 2-3 days if they turn out like the forth one then you can throw them away...if not...well it means that they are good...

But even if it did not work this time, don't worry...they will get back to it...if infertility persists, I would worry about the capacity of the male to fertilize the eggs...but we are not there yet...they need 1-2 spawns as practice before doing a correct one... :wink:

Cheers
Yann
Don't Give Up, Don't Ever Give Up!
doctorzeb

eggs

Post by doctorzeb »

cheers yann.

I'll just have to play barry white in the living room, dim the lights, and get out some sexy insence. see if i can start up some more of that good old zebra luvin!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

cheers, and thanks for all the help and advice.

talk you later

rob
zebra046
Location 1: USA

Post by zebra046 »

the other three light colored eggs are fertile give them a week they might hatch
doctorzeb

Zebra Spawning

Post by doctorzeb »

Hi

Another update.

One of the three eggs has turned mouldy, and I think the other two are on their way. The male however is still sitting in the cave with 2 eggs. is there a chance he's kicked out the bad ones and kept the good ones.

cheers

rob
Yann
Interests: Catfish mainly form South America, Cichlids, Geckos, Horses WWII airplanes, Orchids

Post by Yann »

Hi!

Usually this should not happen, he would have eaten the bad ones, instead of kicking them out!!!
Cheers
Yann
doctorzeb

Zebra Spawning

Post by doctorzeb »

Yann

Any ideas why he would have kicked them out, he is still guarding a couple and from what I can see they are not mouldy. As you will see sirius thinks that when the white dot appears, this means they are unfertile. If they are anything like cory eggs that sounds right.

I'm not holding my breath for any of these to hatch, but hopefully it's just a trial run, and not sterility.

cheers
rob
Yann

Post by Yann »

Hi!

He possibly could have kick the eggs, while trying to block the entrance of the cave with its body.
Other possibilites, the female ( or another one) tried to lay some more eggs and several got kick out during the spawn...

Silurus was talking about the eggs becoming all white, but the other eggs did look like they were rather "fresh" ( not much old between the egg deposite and the kicking out...because it has not much of that yellow colour and the little white "dot" is normal at this stage...
How are the remaining 2 eggs doing?

Cheers
Yann
doctorzeb

zebra spawning

Post by doctorzeb »

The remaining two eggs out of the cave have gone mouldy.

But he is in the cave with two eggs remaining. they look OK, no sign of mould.

I'll just have to wait and see.

cheers Rob :lol:
pturley
I've donated: $66.00!
My articles: 2
My images: 16
My cats species list: 1 (i:0, k:0)
Spotted: 8
Location 1: Cleveland, Ohio USA

Post by pturley »

"Any ideas why he would have kicked them out, he is still guarding a couple and from what I can see they are not mouldy. As you will see sirius thinks that when the white dot appears, this means they are unfertile. If they are anything like cory eggs that sounds right.
I'm not holding my breath for any of these to hatch, but hopefully it's just a trial run, and not sterility.
cheers
rob"
End Quote:

Rob,
The little white dot you are refering to is the animal pole of the egg and actually indicates the eggs are fertilized, not infertile. This dot is actually the larva forming attached to the yolk. It is always on the top 1/3 of the egg, never on the bottom. So congradulations are in order (unless of course, you decided to discard the three other eggs). If the eggs are completely opaque white, they are of course bad at this point.

BTW: You can see this one nearly any fish egg (often requiring magnification depending on egg size).

The classic biology text example is Xenopus laevius (African Clawed Frog) eggs as the animal pole is pigmented, while the vegetable pole (yolk) is not.

Sincerely,
Paul E. Turley
doctorzeb

zebra spawning

Post by doctorzeb »

cheers pturly

The eggs I have in the breeding tank are now white in color, and look mouldy . I'll leave them for a day anyway. Hopefully there is still a chance for the 1 or 2 in the cave with the male. Thanks again

If they have turned mouldy, after fertilisation, could this mean my water is too hard?

Or could this just have happened from them being kicked around the tank.

I'll try and post a picture later once my camera has charged up again.

cheers rob
pturley
I've donated: $66.00!
My articles: 2
My images: 16
My cats species list: 1 (i:0, k:0)
Spotted: 8
Location 1: Cleveland, Ohio USA

Post by pturley »

More likely low oxygen levels or lack of attention from the male. Ancistrine Loricariids are quite active parents during brooding. They move allot of water by constantly fanning the eggs and frequently mouth the mass (possibly cleaning them). They also, per Yann's comment, eat eggs that have gone bad during the incubation.

If the animal pole appeared, the eggs were fertile. Why they died is open to conjecture.

Sincerely,
Paul E. Turley
doctorzeb

zebra spawning

Post by doctorzeb »

Cheers Paul

My god, I've spent 3 years building up a community of Zebras for breeding, this is so exciting. Hopefully it isn't the water parameters. If the eggs were floating around the tank, then that could be why they went mouldy, (hopefully). I've just popped down and had another quick look at the male. There only appears to be one egg, but I think it seems OK.

I suppose for a fist spawn I can't really expect too much.
DO you know of any web resources that will give me good detail on fertilised or unfertilised eggs?

Cheers for the help

rob

Return to “South American Catfishes (Loricariidae - Plecos et al)”