Looking for help to ID a Hypostomus

All posts regarding the care and breeding of these catfishes from South America.
doesdavid
My cats species list: 24 (i:0, k:0)
Location 1: Toronto Ontario Canada
Location 2: Toronto Ontario Canada
Interests: Outdoors (wilderness) walking, cycleing, searching for rare, or odd fish.

Looking for help to ID a Hypostomus

Post by doesdavid »

I luck into purchasing a Hypostomus pleco, the only problem is whats the actual species. I tried researching myself, and narrowed it down to Hypostomus plecostomoides, Hypostomus robinii, Hypostomus micromaculatus, or Hypostomus cordovae. I tried 'whats my catfish', and the moderator agreed with me, but couldn't make a positive ID either.
History: Someone brought it into the store saying they did'nt want it anymore. The store just figures it to be a common, and sold it to me for $10CDN. When I saw it in the tank, something kept bugging me untill I remembered reading about the rarer Hypostomus pleco's only having 8 spines on the back fin. I have no idea where it came from other then it has to be an import, since I'm from Toronto Canada. I hope someone here can help me rather then me flipping a coin to decide the species.

DAve
Attachments
front.JPG
Hypostmus -WHAT.JPG
DAve
MatsP
My articles: 4
My images: 28
My cats species list: 117 (i:33, k:0)
My aquaria list: 10 (i:8)
My BLogs: 4 (i:0, p:97)
Spotted: 187
Location 1: North of Cambridge
Location 2: England.

Re: Looking for help to ID a Hypostomus

Post by MatsP »

One post in one forum (in this case, either the Loricariidae or ID forum would be fine, as you know the family of the fish for certain) - but posting in two places just leads to wasted effort because one person reads one forum first, spends a bit of time finding the same data that someone else already posted in the OTHER forum.

I'm locking this thread, as the other one here has a few replies.

If you feel there is information in this thread that isn't in the other thread, please feel free to amend the other thread.

--
Mats

Return to “South American Catfishes (Loricariidae - Plecos et al)”