What Ancistrus?

Did you know fantastic help is an anagram of Planet Catfish? This forum is for those of you with pictures of your catfish who are looking for help identifying them. There are many here to help and a firm ID is the first step towards keeping your catfish in the best conditions.
König Löwe
Location 1: Bodø, Northern Norway
Interests: The "passion" for fish has subsided somewhat the last couple years, only currently keeping two corys and what might be an LDA-33, as catfish goes.

What Ancistrus?

Post by König Löwe »

I really dislike all the confusion regarding Ancistrus, so I now hope for an answer on what is the dominant species of "common Ancistrus" here in Norway, this one is the type you most often see for sale.

Sorry, It'll have to be a link.

http://www.villagephotos.com/viewpubima ... ted=325389

[Rusty: Here is the picture:]
Shane
Expert
My articles: 69
My images: 161
My catfish: 75
My cats species list: 4 (i:0, k:0)
My aquaria list: 5 (i:5)
Spotted: 99
Location 1: Tysons
Location 2: Virginia

Post by Shane »

Looks like it could be A. triradiatus. Have a better photo? Preferably a mature male with good snout growth.

This is a male A. triradiatus

For comparison A. brevifilis male (bad shot, sorry) Note many short branched tentacles.

And A. sp "Chirgua" male. Note unbranched tentacles.

Last edited by Shane on 29 Jun 2003, 03:14, edited 1 time in total.
"My journey is at an end and the tale is told. The reader who has followed so faithfully and so far, they have the right to ask, what do I bring back? It can be summed up in three words. Concentrate upon Uganda."
Winston Churchill, My African Journey
König Löwe
Location 1: Bodø, Northern Norway
Interests: The "passion" for fish has subsided somewhat the last couple years, only currently keeping two corys and what might be an LDA-33, as catfish goes.

Post by König Löwe »

I have another one of the same species which I am confident is a male, but he has just recently started growing the tentacles, at apx. 6-7 cm length. He is much more shy than the other one, but I'll have a try at getting some good pictures of him.

His colours are quite a bit darker than those of the one in the picture, which I believe to be a female.
kgroenhoej
Location 1: Denmark

Post by kgroenhoej »

Hi König,

it's the same A. sp. commonly breed and sold in Denmark (and for the reader with little knowlegde of Scandinavia - the countrys in Scandinavia share a lot - and the things common in Norway is also common in Denmark (of course there's no rule without exceptions)).
The white dots on juveniles do fade with age, but they will never completely disappear
A picture of an adult male (some large males do have some branched tentacles):
A picture of an adult female:

-Klaus

Return to “What is my catfish?”