your favorite... "guess the pleco!"

Did you know fantastic help is an anagram of Planet Catfish? This forum is for those of you with pictures of your catfish who are looking for help identifying them. There are many here to help and a firm ID is the first step towards keeping your catfish in the best conditions.
ewok
Location 1: new haven, ct

your favorite... "guess the pleco!"

Post by ewok »

i picked this one up last night for $3.18 ...... any guesses as to what type it is? i know it's not a common.......... :confused:

sorry for the image quality, the cameras a little old and taking pictures thru the plastic bag doesn't help. hopefully this will fix my algae problem, 1 little oto in a 55g doesn't cut it when you like to leaves the lights on too much. :)

other pix......

now that it's settled in, brown to dark brown fish with white spots, pectoral fins have a light edge and all the fins are striped or spotted, also a fancy tail, and big eyes. ancistrus sp3 seemed to be sort of similar for "just" the colors.....
Silurus
I've donated: $12.00!
My articles: 55
My images: 885
My catfish: 1
My cats species list: 90 (i:0, k:0)
Spotted: 420
Location 1: Singapore
Location 2: Moderator Emeritus

Post by Silurus »

It looks like a common (<i>Hypostomus</i>) with a slightly unusual color pattern. I cannot count the dorsal-fin rays from the pic, but it looks like it has about 7-8. Is that right?
ewok

Post by ewok »

odd, it's nothing like my old common.... *shrug*

it definately has an unusual color pattern..... i'm going to go back to the store and see if they have any further info for the heck of it. it definately has an unusual color pattern. they had 20 tanks with commons and this one and another were alone by themselves, all the others looked pretty much the same except those two.

give me a couple days, i'm going to see if i can borrow a friends cam and get better pictures too. :)

it really doesn't matter to me if it is common or not, just the pattern suggests it isn't. :?

btw: thanks for the prompt answer! :D
ewok

Post by ewok »

just some new, better pix....

i don't know how you guys get em to flare their fins like they do in most of the pix, he/she was darn near impossible about doing it.

another thing...... can you tell if it's male or female?

TIA
jeff
König Löwe
Location 1: Bodø, Northern Norway
Interests: The "passion" for fish has subsided somewhat the last couple years, only currently keeping two corys and what might be an LDA-33, as catfish goes.

Post by König Löwe »

um... Glyptopericthys joselimaianus?
Jools
Expert
My articles: 198
My images: 946
My catfish: 237
My cats species list: 87 (i:13, k:1)
My aquaria list: 21 (i:13)
My BLogs: 7 (i:7, p:202)
My Wishlist: 23
Spotted: 448
Location 1: Middle Earth,
Location 2: Scotland
Interests: All things aquatic, Sci-Fi, photography and travel. Oh, and beer.

Post by Jools »

König Löwe wrote:um... Glyptopericthys joselimaianus?
Yeah, that's your fish - AKA L1. I presume these fish are now being farm bred as they are showing up as small fish (< 2") at about the same price as gibbiceps.

Jools
jscoggs27
I've donated: $130.00!
My images: 4
My cats species list: 11 (i:0, k:0)
My aquaria list: 1 (i:1)
Spotted: 2
Location 1: UK
Location 2: Stevenage, Herts, UK

Post by jscoggs27 »

Someone told me they were being bred in asia and florida, 2 varieties are now commonly avalaible in the UK. One with white spots and one with orange yellow spots. Ive seen them sold as leopard plecos in more than three locals.
Plec0maniac
Location 1: Manila, Philippines

Post by Plec0maniac »

yup L001 to me too.. Leopards?? They look quite different from leopards, and yup there are the ones with orange spots which I think is being bred in taiwan and there are ones with white-spots which are the wild caught.. maybe its there diet??! :)
Too many gorgeous loricariids
So hard to obtain! Grrr....
T
Location 1: Bonnie Scotland

Post by T »

It looks nothing like Glyptopericthys joselimaianus to me, look at the one in the cat-e-log and compare the dorsal and the eye spines.To me it looks like a nicely marked common.
ewok

Post by ewok »

thanks guys! :D

there is a definate resemblance between it and pic 2, it also explains why i thought i saw some resemblances to gibbiceps. also, another part to this puzzle was petco (where i bought it) commonly has something called the "chocolate pleco".......

it was supposed to cost more, but the person pricing it couldn't find the right tag, so i got it for the price of a common (which was really all i was looking for). good deal either way tho. :)

i noticed you only have 2 pics when i was viewing the profile, so if you'd like to use anything from the last batch, go ahead. i'll see if i can get some better pix, and post them also. the little guy was quite camera shy tho, it's tuf to get good poses.

thanks again,
jeff
Jools
Expert

Post by Jools »

T wrote:It looks nothing like Glyptopericthys joselimaianus to me, look at the one in the cat-e-log and compare the dorsal and the eye spines.To me it looks like a nicely marked common.
T,

I really do think this is L1. What do you mean by dorsal and eye spines? Bear in mind the pictures in cat-elog are of 4-5" fish and this one is much smaller...

Jools
T

Post by T »

Look at the dorsals of both.Cat-e-log = small similar sized gold spots and his pic = light irregualr broken patches.The lfs near me always has little babies in (the call them gold spot or red marble sailfins)at about 1.5" and they look like the one in the cat-e-log.
Jools
Expert

Post by Jools »

T wrote:Look at the dorsals of both.Cat-e-log = small similar sized gold spots and his pic = light irregualr broken patches.The lfs near me always has little babies in (the call them gold spot or red marble sailfins)at about 1.5" and they look like the one in the cat-e-log.
That's not really much of a difference in my opinion (and it might be introduced by the farming process perhaps). I think you can still call it Glyptopericthys joselimaianus, but maybe not L1 if you are being really strict. Would still call it L1 and it is certainly not a "common".

Jools
T

Post by T »

Maybe not a common but I still dont think its Glyptopericthys joselimaianus.I suppose once its a bit bigger it will be easier to tell.

Return to “What is my catfish?”