Stow-away miracle catfish...

Did you know fantastic help is an anagram of Planet Catfish? This forum is for those of you with pictures of your catfish who are looking for help identifying them. There are many here to help and a firm ID is the first step towards keeping your catfish in the best conditions.
BCBERRI
Location 1: NASHVILLE, TN

Stow-away miracle catfish...

Post by BCBERRI »

Hi guys, I need some help from you. I bought a piece of driftwood from my LFS the other day and there was a stow-away inside! Now while I trust my LFS very much I still wash everything I get from their display tanks well before I use them. I was washing this driftwood in very hot tap water and out plops this brown spotted catfish! :shock: Now you can imagine my surprise that 1. He was still alive. It is an hour drive home from the store and he had little to no water inside the driftwood cavity. 2. That he survived the dunk in the hot tap water! So here we are two weeks later and he is still alive and kickin'! :) Now I know nothing about catfish, hadn't planned on having one, nor did the store have any idea what I was talking about when I called them back. I was wondering if you guys could help me out here. He is currently in a 5.5 gal quarantine tank(it was all I had cycled and ready to put him in with as little stress as poss.) and is about 2.5 in. long. I need to get him set up in a proper size tank and on a good diet quickly. But I don't even know what he is or how big he will get or what he will eat. Here are the pictures I took last night while he was out from under his rock for a bit. Sorry this is so long, but I am floundering a bit! :D I really want to keep him now. He is a beauty and has one hell of a will to survive. Thanks.

AMY S.
Dave Rinaldo
I've donated: $601.00!
My images: 238
My cats species list: 64 (i:0, k:0)
Spotted: 97
Location 2: Austin, Texas

Post by Dave Rinaldo »

Looks like

Nice find!
Contribute to Planet Catfish!

Use this Amazon.com link to benefit Planet Catfish!!
apistomaster
I've donated: $90.00!
My articles: 1
My cats species list: 12 (i:0, k:0)
My Wishlist: 1
Location 1: Clarkston, WA, USA
Location 2: Clarkston, WA, USA
Interests: Aquaculture and flyfishing

Post by apistomaster »

Truly an amazing story and find. There are a lot of people trying to find this one. Moral of the story; buy all the driftwood you can.
Avid Trout fly fisherman. ·´¯`·...¸><)))º>
Kenneth Wong
My cats species list: 39 (i:0, k:0)
My BLogs: 1 (i:0, p:26)
Spotted: 3
Location 1: Texas

Post by Kenneth Wong »

That is so awesome, I've been looking for those, aka Jaguar cats, for a few years now and none of the stores locally have them.

Dave, have you found any in your area lately? I'm still looking.

Ken
BCBERRI

Post by BCBERRI »

Wow you guys are fast! Thanks so much. He is such a beauty. Now I have a ton of questions. How big will he get? Will he be happy by himself or should I get another fish to go in the tank with him. I would like to make a nice display tank for him. What size would he be happy in if he is by himself? I was thinking of keeping him in a species only tank, will this be ok? I really want to do right by him. How much does one of these guys go for retail? I don't even know. :roll: Any other info or personal advice you guys can give would be great! I am so greatfull! :D
AMY S.
apistomaster
I've donated: $90.00!
My articles: 1
My cats species list: 12 (i:0, k:0)
My Wishlist: 1
Location 1: Clarkston, WA, USA
Location 2: Clarkston, WA, USA
Interests: Aquaculture and flyfishing

Post by apistomaster »

Click on the species name in Dave's response and it will take you to the Cat-e-log where the size is listed as 9.8 inches. A little on the large size. Might be a good fish to keep with some SA Cichilds, large Characins and other Catfish, of course.
You could just keep it in a specimen set up where it may be possible to arrange the aquascaping so it is easier to view. They are a reclusive and nocturnal fish. A 40 gallon breeder tank would be about the right size for one full grown fish.
Avid Trout fly fisherman. ·´¯`·...¸><)))º>
BCBERRI

Post by BCBERRI »

Larry, Thanks so much! You guys are a wealth of info! I am super excited now. I will be keeping him by himself with a setup just as you said, so I can see him but he can feel like he is hiding. Thanks so much for all the help! :D
AMY S.
racoll
My articles: 6
My images: 182
My catfish: 2
My cats species list: 2 (i:0, k:0)
My aquaria list: 1 (i:0)
Spotted: 238
Location 1: Bristol
Location 2: UK

Post by racoll »

Wow :eek:

If the prices are the same in the USA as they are here, you have done well.

They are £40 in my LFS, so that makes them about $80 over there!
TalenT
Location 1: Sweden
Location 2: Europe

Post by TalenT »

Wow indeed!

As an employee in an LFS for three years, I was constantly searching the lists for that species. It didn't show up once in three years!... Then someone buys a piece of driftwood... amazing!

Congratulations to a great find!
snowball
I've donated: $40.00!
My cats species list: 47 (i:23, k:0)
My aquaria list: 3 (i:3)
My BLogs: 1 (i:0, p:16)
My Wishlist: 4
Spotted: 28
Location 1: Sydney
Location 2: Australia
Interests: Plotosidae

Post by snowball »

Yep well done, that is a lovely fish!

I heard of a similar story at a LFS involving a S. angelicus (AU$400!), sadly it did not survive the trip.
bronzefry
I've donated: $100.00!
My articles: 6
My images: 13
My cats species list: 17 (i:0, k:0)
My aquaria list: 7 (i:7)
Spotted: 6
Location 1: Sharon, Massachusetts, US

Post by bronzefry »

What a shock to the system for both you and fish! Welcome to Club Auchenipteridae.(I'm still looking for my first) :D
Amanda
BCBERRI

Post by BCBERRI »

Thanks guys! :D Well I am setting up his new home as I type this. He is going to have to live in a 20long for a bit because there is no money in the "fish" account. We hadn't planned on any new additions until this summer when we get our new house. Then he will get to live in a 46g bowfront. With an Angel or two. He is still on a bit of a hunger strike, but I keep making sure he has food available to him. We have named him Steggo. He reminds me and my hubby or a dinosaur with all his boney plates and spines. :lol:
AMY S.
naturalart
I've donated: $45.00!
My images: 3
My cats species list: 37 (i:18, k:10)
My aquaria list: 6 (i:3)
My Wishlist: 3
Spotted: 14
Location 1: Oakland
Location 2: California
Interests: catfish, nature

Post by naturalart »