Satisfy a newbies curiousity

A members area where you can introduce yourself, discuss anything outwith catfish and generally get to know each other.
Allivymar
Location 1: NY, USA

Satisfy a newbies curiousity

Post by Allivymar »

Hi folks:

I've noticed, in many pictures I've seen in the forum, the presence of someone's hand LOL

I have always thought handling the fish was a big no-no. Have I been under the wrong impression all these years? Thanx :)
Sid Guppy
Location 1: Brabant, the Netherlands
Interests: Catfish, Tanganyikan fish, Rock'n'roll, Fantasy

Post by Sid Guppy »

In general, it's a non-no.
but if you're experienced, and know what you're doing, it doesn't harm the fish (much).

there are some fishes (many pleco's for example) that can be handled without harming the fish.
Others, it's better not to do this; they might be stressed or too fragile (like glass-cats or amphilidae etc) and of course, there are several wich are too spiny or poisonous; only a Wacko like Steve Irwin would handle Plotosus, Heteropneustes or Acanthodoras .....
Plan B should not automatically be twice as much explosives as Plan A
König Löwe
Location 1: Bodø, Northern Norway
Interests: The "passion" for fish has subsided somewhat the last couple years, only currently keeping two corys and what might be an LDA-33, as catfish goes.

Post by König Löwe »

I pressume you are talking about photographing fish while they are lying/being held by a person in the hand?

This is a good way of getting pictures of catfish (is this the truth for all catfish? anyone?) as they erect their fins to their full splendor, and allso show their cheek odontodes well (this does only concern Loricariidae), which helps much in identifying the fish's sex.

I'm not sure how handling scaled fish, such as cichilds. I've photographed a bolivian ram once with it lying in my hand, but that didn't really look any good, since the fins where clasped together and the fish looked quite desperate... I suspect this would be the case with most other fish too. The ram is doing well, and didn't seem to take any damage from it.
Allivymar
Location 1: NY, USA

Post by Allivymar »

König Löwe:

Heh, your icon is exactly they type of pic I was talking about.

To add to my question, why would handling be less injurous to a pl*co as opposed to a cichlid? Because they are armoured? Or is there a difference in the slime coat?
König Löwe
Location 1: Bodø, Northern Norway
Interests: The "passion" for fish has subsided somewhat the last couple years, only currently keeping two corys and what might be an LDA-33, as catfish goes.

Post by König Löwe »

I really have no idea why it may be less harmfull for catfish.

A trick that I've discovered recently to get Loricariidae to stay calm in your hand is light! Do NOT shade their eyes, if you do, the fish will wriggle around, and may be able to get out of your hand and down on the hard floor...
Silurus
I've donated: $12.00!
My articles: 55
My images: 885
My catfish: 1
My cats species list: 90 (i:0, k:0)
Spotted: 420
Location 1: Singapore
Location 2: Moderator Emeritus

Post by Silurus »

One reason why catfishes oblige you by spreading their fins open when caught is because that's a natural defensive response. They are erecting their spines and locking them (as they would naturally to deter predators) and the natural consequence of that is that the fins remain nice and spread out.
Perciformes do it to a lesser degree. You will notice that in most cases, they spread their first dorsal ray (which is entirely made of spines), but not their second (which is entirely made of soft rays).
S. Allen
Location 1: Colorado Springs, USA
Interests: Fish: catfish, discus, stingrays. Alcohol: Vodka, Gin, Rum, Beer, Cider. Tobacco: cigars, pipe, hookah/shisha. Dogs, Literature, Music

Post by S. Allen »

There are many fish that really don't mind being touched... discus are a good example, if you've had them long enough and you're not moving fast, they many times are use to you. And although I guess I shouldn't advocate it... my stingrays are all hand feeders, and have been since about 10 days after I got them. 2 of the 3 actually will slide up and kind of suction to the glass near the top and are happy to be petted even if you don't have food. I of course know that stingray inflicted wounds can be extremely painful, as well as being very likely to become infected, but you don't approach them and wait for them to come to you and your chances are really low. In general I suggest handling as little as possible, if you have fish that don't mind though, and you're not wearing sharpened press-on nails... I think it's fine myself.

Return to “Speak Easy”