Green stuff growing in my tank.

Post pictures of your beloved catfish aquaria here. Also good for pictures of your (cat)fish rooms or equipment discussions. If you are posting pictures of identified catfish, please do so in the appropriate husbandry and reproduction forum above.
Marisa
Location 1: Sydney

Green stuff growing in my tank.

Post by Marisa »

Hi Guys, Hope you can all help me out again. I recently changed my filter system to an external canister as well as putting a light over my two foot tank. I now have lots of green "algae" growing on my rocks, ornaments and whatever else it can latch onto including my mystery snail!! Its kind of "hairy" almost like a moss. Should I be scared? What is the best way of dealing with this and should I be scrubbing everything clean of it??
It doesnt seem to affect my Tandanus very much, but then not much does?

Could this also have had anything to do with introducing live plants into the system?

Thanks, Marisa :(
Silurus
I've donated: $12.00!
My articles: 55
My images: 885
My catfish: 1
My cats species list: 90 (i:0, k:0)
Spotted: 420
Location 1: Singapore
Location 2: Moderator Emeritus

Post by Silurus »

What shade of green is it? If it's a very dark green (almost black), that stuff's nearly impossible to eradicate. No organism will eat it and it's nearly impossible to scrape off.
If it's just a regular mid-green, I suppose you could try adding something to graze on it (snails/fish).
Marisa
Location 1: Sydney

Post by Marisa »

Thanks Silurus,

Its quite a bright/mid green so maybe I'll get a few more snails. I'd like to get a smaller sucker fish but I think my tandanus would eat it before it ate much algae.
Shall work on a big clean out this afternoon and let you know how it all goes.

Return to “Tank Talk”