late bloomers...

All posts regarding the care and breeding of these catfishes from South America.
Bathos
I've donated: $20.00!
Location 1: USA, Pennsylvania
Interests: Corydoras and other freshwater fish

late bloomers...

Post by Bathos »

hey there. i've got a bunch of cory fry hatched on february 27th. (they are almost 3 moths old) most of them are showing coloring like their parents. some, however, are still pretty small and look a lot like fry. i would like to change the substrate in the tank (large gravel) to something more manageable (sand), but the smaller cories hide in the gravel, so i have to be careful not to move the gravel, lest i crush or burry one. how long will it take these "late bloomers" to catch up with the rest?
how big should my cories be at this point?

feeding schedule:
monday-saturday
frozen brine shrimp or frozen bloodworms for one meal, Early Blend fish food(http://www.aquaricare.org/item.jhtml?UC ... RID=100958) for the other

sunday
fasting

water changes are twice weekly, about 50% each

-Liz
Allan
My aquaria list: 1 (i:0)
Location 1: Denmark
Interests: Catfish, mostly corys.

Late bloomers

Post by Allan »

Hi Bathos

I'va had a similar problem, when i breed large numbers of C. paleatus. Im quite sure in that case, it was because the density of fish in my raising tank was to high. I then split the school of youngster in two aquariums, and the little cory's exploded in their growth.

I find two meals a day a little bit low, especially when we are dealing with litte fish, i fancy feeding them minimum 4 times a day, preferably with one or two meals of newly hatched brine schrimp. The small fish can have their problems with bloodworms.

Why do you keep sunday as a fasting day? - I don't find this natural for any cory or similar small fish.

Sounds like a really good idea to chance the gravel into sand.

KR
Allan Mathiasen

Return to “South American Catfishes (Callichthyidae - Corys et al)”