Where to buy lights and fixtures, what kind to buy??

Post pictures of your beloved catfish aquaria here. Also good for pictures of your (cat)fish rooms or equipment discussions. If you are posting pictures of identified catfish, please do so in the appropriate husbandry and reproduction forum above.
Zack
Location 1: Kodiak Alaska
Interests: fish,outdoors,powersports=mx,pre running,etc etc

Where to buy lights and fixtures, what kind to buy??

Post by Zack »

Hi, Im looking for suggestion on what kind of light settup to buy, and where to buy lights and fixtures for my 55 gallon tank. I looked at the jbj systems but they seem very expensive. I think that max i will be able to spend on the units is about two hundred u.s. dollars or maybe a little more. Thanks in advance for any help.
55 gallon
11 pygmy cories
8 neon tetras
1 banjo
4 black neons
4 otos
Dinyar
My articles: 3
My images: 228
My catfish: 10
My cats species list: 3 (i:0, k:0)
Spotted: 94
Location 1: New York, NY, USA
Interests: Mochokidae, Claroteidae, Bagridae, Malepteruridae, Chacidae, Heteropneustidae, Clariidae, Sisoridae, Loricariiadae

Post by Dinyar »

Really depends what you want to do with your tank. If it's just to house catfish, you can get by with 0.5 watts a gallon, and an ordinary single bulb fluorescent strip light that you can buy anywhere will do. If you want to grow plants, you'll need at least 2 watts/gallon, and you're much better off going with power compact bulbs. These are more expensive upfront, but much cheaper long term. $200 for a 55 gal should be enough. Various brands can be bought from places like That Pet Place in PA or Big Al's in Ontario, among other sources. If you want to DIY, Aquarium Hobbyist's Supply (http://www.ahsupply.com) is the place to go.

Dinyar
Pooks73
Location 1: NYC

Post by Pooks73 »

the jbj systems are expensive, but worth the money if you want to do a planted tank. try looking on ebay for lighting. i got my jbj system there, and i got a good deal on it too. i have it on a 90 gallon tank, so it's a 48", 65 X 4 and it was $200 shipped. just be patient and keep looking, eventually one will pop up for cheap and you can grab it. sometimes there are even used ones that i saw when i was getting mine, and those went for $100 or so.

if you're not going to do a planted tank, then what about just getting some vera tops and a strip light..that should be sufficient and won't break the bank.
Zack
Location 1: Kodiak Alaska
Interests: fish,outdoors,powersports=mx,pre running,etc etc

Post by Zack »

Thanks guys, im deffinately looking to plant it. Do you know any stores online i can get them through?? Im in alaska so something like sg mentioned (in canada) would be nice. I'll try ebay as well. Thanks
55 gallon
11 pygmy cories
8 neon tetras
1 banjo
4 black neons
4 otos
Cartman
Location 1: MN, USA

Post by Cartman »

http://www.bigalsonline.com
http://www.drsfostersmith.com
http://www.thatfishplace.com

Go for the Power Compacts like Dinyar said... that or you could get awat w/ the new 3 tube florescent by All-glass. I Think a 120 watt 48" is around a $100 @ Al's. Don't skimp on light bulbs if you go w/ Florescents ... for my $ I like the ZooMed Plant florescent.
S. Allen
Location 1: Colorado Springs, USA
Interests: Fish: catfish, discus, stingrays. Alcohol: Vodka, Gin, Rum, Beer, Cider. Tobacco: cigars, pipe, hookah/shisha. Dogs, Literature, Music

Post by S. Allen »

go MH man... This is the front of my house at about 3 in the morning... I was testing the lights in the basement and thought it might show outside...

$200 for the ballast and wiring, $50-$60 for bulb, and maybe $50 worth of aluminum, a bit of work, $3 for an exhaust fan from an electrical salvage superstore, $25 for a nice exterior black powder coating... and you've got a darn nice system. If you've got access to milling machines and knowledgable machinists who're bored...

http://scott.aaquaria.com/pictures/hood.jpg

Although it's not for everyone, it really makes the ripples on the top of the water cast pretty shadows.
Barbie
Expert
I've donated: $360.00!
My articles: 1
My images: 15
My catfish: 2
My cats species list: 58 (i:0, k:0)
Spotted: 8
Location 1: Spokane, WA
Location 2: USA

Post by Barbie »

*wonders when the DEA will raid Scott's house*

:lol:

Barbie
S. Allen
Location 1: Colorado Springs, USA
Interests: Fish: catfish, discus, stingrays. Alcohol: Vodka, Gin, Rum, Beer, Cider. Tobacco: cigars, pipe, hookah/shisha. Dogs, Literature, Music

Post by S. Allen »

;) If I was growing I'd be smarter than that...

One downside to the MH lights, last night I found a moth floating on top of the tank... apperently flew in to be near the light and smacke the glass too hard... Thank god the little buggers are only here in force in the spring.

Return to “Tank Talk”