Two new Chaetostoma

For the discussion of catfish systematics. Post here to draw our attention to new publications or to discuss existing works.
Silurus
I've donated: $12.00!
My articles: 55
My images: 885
My catfish: 1
My cats species list: 90 (i:0, k:0)
Spotted: 420
Location 1: Singapore
Location 2: Moderator Emeritus

Two new Chaetostoma

Post by Silurus »

Salcedo, NJ, 2006. Two new species of Chaetostoma (Siluriformes: Loricariidae) from the Huallaga River in central Peru. Ichthyological Exploration of Freshwaters 17: 207â??220.

Abstract

Two new species of rubbernose armored catfish are described from the upper Huallaga River (650 m elevation) in central Peru. Chaetostoma daidalmatos, new species, is distinguished from all other Chaetostoma species in having a unique combination of: large dark rounded spots on the body and on the dorsal and caudal fins, cleithral width 29.2-30.8 % SL, head length 28.4-30.9 % SL, and interorbital width 32.5-36.6 % HL. Chaetostoma stroumpoulos, new species, is distinguished from all other Chaetostoma species in having a unique combination of: dark rounded spots on the body, head depth 17.9-21.2 % SL, base of dorsal-fin length 21.4-24.9 % SL, caudal peduncle length 25.8-29.9 % SL, interorbital width 31.3-35.6 % HL, and orbit diameter 15.0-17.6 % HL. The new species occur in sympatry and differ from each other on characters such as: shape of papillae on naked snout, extent of dorsal fin and pectoral spine, and caudal-fin shape; and measurements such as: cleithral width, interbranchial width, first dorsal-fin ray length, and pelvic-anal length.

Return to “Taxonomy & Science News”