fish death =/ cause ?

A members area where you can introduce yourself, discuss anything outwith catfish and generally get to know each other.
Harley
Location 1: Umeå, Sweden

fish death =/ cause ?

Post by Harley »

Hi
Two of my recently bought Clown Plecos died this week =/ Now i only have one left.
I tried to look att the fish to understand what caused their death, but i dindt get much out of it.
It is a small tank (60 liters) with alot of small bristlenoses and these three Clown plecos. Im thinking that maybe they dindt eat proberly. But the dead fishes did not have sunken bellys.

do you have any ide ?
Janne
Expert
My articles: 10
My images: 244
Spotted: 73
Location 2: Belém, Brazil

Post by Janne »

What kind of food have you give them? And do you have any driftwood in the tank?
Have you control the nitrite and nitrates level? If you have lots of fishes in the tank the nitrite and also the nitrate level will be high and they are sensitive against this.

Janne
Harley

Post by Harley »

Hey Janne, i dropped you a mail about this 5 minutes ago =)

I have a mopani root for them to chew on. And i gave them the same as my ancistrus juveniles. Peas, cucumber and 2 different kind of algea tablets. There are also much vegitation in the tank, wich i think they could eat if they get hungry enough.
Sid Guppy
Location 1: Brabant, the Netherlands
Interests: Catfish, Tanganyikan fish, Rock'n'roll, Fantasy

Post by Sid Guppy »

Mopani is too though!
They cannot eat it, just scape a bit.
Get a piece of genuine bogwood or driftwood (bogwood is the best).
Plan B should not automatically be twice as much explosives as Plan A
Harley

Post by Harley »

ooh ooh !
Ooops id better get some other kind of wood then, probobly mangroove.

Btw what is Bogwood ?
Sid Guppy
Location 1: Brabant, the Netherlands
Interests: Catfish, Tanganyikan fish, Rock'n'roll, Fantasy

Post by Sid Guppy »

Bogwood is wood from a peatbog (peat is the brown fibery stuff, dug up from swamps and dried, either used as "fuel" to burn or used as a soil add-on).
It's reddish brown in color, fairly soft, and when you buy it; it's usually dry and it floats. It needs to be weighed down for a few weeks to make it waterlogged and sinking again.
Bogwood -like peat- leaks acids and tannins, slowly. Many riverine fish (esp those from Blackwater, like many Panaque-related pleco's) like it.
Plan B should not automatically be twice as much explosives as Plan A

Return to “Speak Easy”