Recipes

A members area where you can introduce yourself, discuss anything outwith catfish and generally get to know each other.
CATWITHOUTHAT
Location 1: minneapolis minnesota
Interests: cats and all other freshwater fish

Recipes

Post by CATWITHOUTHAT »

anyone have any good recipes for homemade food that you freeze and feed your fish...im always looking for a new food choice... :P

ben
Caol_ila
My images: 53
Spotted: 23
Location 1: Mainz, Germany

Post by Caol_ila »

Hi!

Im using a similar recipe to a thing called "turtle pudding" as it was intended for water turtles but i had to alter it to the specialized food needs of my turtle. But it also seems good for meateating catfish or altered for planteaters.

Youll need Agar Agar or gelatine (dunno if its the right word) and mix it with anything youll find appropriate for your fishes. I for example use trout 50%, gammarus, carrots, spinach and shrimps 30%.
You heat up the agar pour in the ingredients fill it into a form and freeze it.

Just my idea of an recipe...
cheers
Christian
Harley
Location 1: Umeå, Sweden

Post by Harley »

Here in sweden we often make "shrimpmix" for our cichlids, this is also a perfect form of food for catfish. That mix is mostly shrimps, fish and something green, maybe not so good for most catfishes. But verry cheap cihlid food =) If anyone want a complete recipe, mail me.

The basic ide´ is as Caol_ila explained. Fill the mixer with everything you know is good for YOUR catfishes, peas, lettuce, zuccini, algea waffers, spirulina, vitamins (?) and so on. Mix it thorougly and use the gelatine to bind it toogether. Pack it in some smart way, then stuff it in the freezer. Either use "icecube forms" or a plastic bag to put the mix in. If you use a plastic bag, flatten the mix so its max 1cm high. Then its alot easier to break pieces of it.

sorry for my lousy english, i hope its understandable =)
stibolt
Location 1: Hamlet´s town, Denmark
Interests: Almost all catfishes, but mostly Panaque nigrolineatus

Post by stibolt »

- or just give them shrimps (you know, the frozen kind from your nearest store). . my fish love them! tup
S. Allen
Location 1: Colorado Springs, USA
Interests: Fish: catfish, discus, stingrays. Alcohol: Vodka, Gin, Rum, Beer, Cider. Tobacco: cigars, pipe, hookah/shisha. Dogs, Literature, Music

Post by S. Allen »

http://scott.aaquaria.com/videos/tigrinusfeeding.mov proves the shrimp argument ;) and he'd only been in the tank for 2 days then... But that tank gets all sorts of seafood, shrimp, scallops, clams, catfish filet slivers... almost anything... as hungry as they all are, I can never get them to eat imitation crab meat... and there's no way I'm going to the trouble and expense of real crab meat unless it's going in my stomach.

as for a good food recipe it all depends. I've made some duscus stuff that I'll never make again, had beefheart, shrimp, wheat germ, small amount of liver, spirulina, nori, some vitamins and other things I can't remember... I've since discontinued feeding beef products except a few times a month... I may make another batch with all seafood, get some catfish, whitefish and all sorts of fish, and mix it 50/50 with shrimp/scallops/clams/squid, and I may just splurge for a tiny bit of crab. I'm still going to include some spirulina, and a few other veggies. a mix isn't going to hurt carnivores... the fish or inverts they feed on have bellies full of plant matter anyway... ;) heck, I took down a shot of wheatgrass juice myself today and no vomiting or other adverse side effects.

Return to “Speak Easy”