when can i leave my fry?

All posts regarding the care and breeding of these catfishes from South America.
Bathos
I've donated: $20.00!
Location 1: USA, Pennsylvania
Interests: Corydoras and other freshwater fish

when can i leave my fry?

Post by Bathos »

i had a batch of C. aeneus hatch on 2/27/03. right now about 2/3 of them are starting to really look like adults and get the adult coloration and body shape. the other 1/3 are varied in size and look like large fry, not so much like the adults. the tank is an established 20gal long with minimal algae and a bunch of snails.

i'd like to visit family on Easter and stay overnight. would the fry be OK with only 1 feeding per day for 2 days?

in a little over a month i'm goign to be involved with a Betta show (setting it up, tearing it down, and all the fun stuff in between). i'll have to be away for 3 days. the only other person who knows how to feed them will be out of town for 2 of those 3 days. do you think they'd be all right at that age with 2 days of no food?

thanks for the input!

-Liz
Coryman
Expert
My articles: 12
My catfish: 5
My cats species list: 83 (i:0, k:0)
My BLogs: 1 (i:0, p:1)
Spotted: 194
Location 1: Kidderminster UK
Location 2: Kidderminster, UK
Interests: Cory's, Loricariids, photography and more Cory's

Post by Coryman »

Liz

You should not have a problem leaving your fish for three or four days. I will be doing the same, as of tomorow (Wed) I will be away for five days. I have fed pretty heavily for the last week and today gave every tank a 50% water change. everything should be fine untill I am back on monday.

Ian
Bathos

Post by Bathos »

at what point is it safe for me to leave the fry like that? this is my first spawn, but i'm sure i'll have others.

-Liz
Coryman
Expert
My articles: 12
My catfish: 5
My cats species list: 83 (i:0, k:0)
My BLogs: 1 (i:0, p:1)
Spotted: 194
Location 1: Kidderminster UK
Location 2: Kidderminster, UK
Interests: Cory's, Loricariids, photography and more Cory's

Post by Coryman »

Your fry should be OK to leave for one night and in a month three nights should not cause any problems. All my fish have one day a week without food including fry, in that short space of time there will always be something for them to pick on. If you use sponge filters with the fry there will probably be enough on the sponges to sustain them for several days.

Ian
Bathos

Post by Bathos »

Great! i'm glad the fry aren't holding back my social life as much as i thought! Thanks Ian!
-Liz

Return to “South American Catfishes (Callichthyidae - Corys et al)”