My Farlowella vittata just spawned, question!

All posts regarding the care and breeding of these catfishes from South America.
SanDiegoFishes
Location 1: San Diego, California USA
Interests: Fish! Corydoras, dwarf plecos, Farlowellas, livebearers,apistogrammas, angelfish,snails, plants,rainbows, and pretty much everything else!

My Farlowella vittata just spawned, question!

Post by SanDiegoFishes »

Hi all!
Anyone here ever bred Farlowella Vittata, or a similar species? Mine finally spawned after months of trying, course now they did it in a community tank with cories, guppies, and some apistos. Found Mr. Farlowella guarding a new clutch of eggs on the aquariium glass this morning, but by the afternoon he was no longer watching them. I quickly put together a hatching container with some methelyen blue, and attempted to razor blade the eggs from the glass like I do with my corydoras eggs. It was a disaster! They did not slide under the blade like cory eggs, they stuck and ripped! I think probably 3/4 of the eggs were broken, and believe me, I tried my best to get them off gently.
I now have a few hopefully unbroken eggs in a hatching container with the meth blue and an airstone gently bubbling fresh water across them. Any advice greatly appreciated! I will be moving the spawning colony to another tank in several weeks, but until then I suspect I will now find more eggs, probably on the glass. How do you get them off without breaking them? Do they get less sticky with age? I really want to save the next ones, I put some slates all around, but of course, Papa is avoiding them!
Thanks in advance, hope some of you here have worked with this species before!
Fishes
Yann
I've donated: $20.00!
My articles: 8
My images: 280
My cats species list: 81 (i:0, k:0)
My BLogs: 2 (i:3, p:90)
Spotted: 108
Location 1: Switzerland
Location 2: Switzerland
Interests: Catfish mainly form South America, Cichlids, Geckos, Horses WWII airplanes, Orchids

Post by Yann »

Hi!

Just look here you will find what you need!

http://www.planetcatfish.com/shanesworl ... ittata.htm

Cheers
Yann
Don't Give Up, Don't Ever Give Up!
kdreymann
Location 1: Berlin

Re: My Farlowella vittata just spawned, question!

Post by kdreymann »

SanDiegoFishes wrote:Hi all!
Anyone here ever bred Farlowella Vittata, or a similar species?
Thanks in advance, hope some of you here have worked with this species before!
Fishes
I still keep on breeding them.
Shortly before they get off the egg (what's that called in english? :oops: ) you can get the eggs off the glas quite easily with a sharp knife or something like that.
Normally the male should take care of the eggs till that day!
Are you shure, that it hasn't just left the eggs for a short while only?

Klaus.
SanDiegoFishes
Location 1: San Diego, California USA
Interests: Fish! Corydoras, dwarf plecos, Farlowellas, livebearers,apistogrammas, angelfish,snails, plants,rainbows, and pretty much everything else!

Post by SanDiegoFishes »

Hey, thanks for the replies. I did read all the articles on the site for the F.vittata, but neither mentioned trying to remove the eggs from the glass,which is why I asked here. The male left them and the other fish in the tank started picking at them, male didn't care! I will be moving the breeding colony over to their own tank soon, and that will end that problem. However, if I get more eggs on the glass before I move them, I probably will need to remove them again.
At about what day into the spawn do they come off easily if the male watches the next ones? I tried to remove them on day one, they were terribly sticky and all but two were destroyed. I do now have 2 developing eggs (yeah!), so I have my fingers crossed for 2 baby twiglets soon. If anyone has done egg removing from glass, I would be most greatful for your observations, many thanks in advance!
Best, Fishes
Plec0maniac
Location 1: Manila, Philippines

Post by Plec0maniac »

hi, based on experience, artifitial incubation of the eggs of a farowella or sturisoma sp.is more difficult than with cichlids. I think it is best to separate the pair and let the male gaurd the eggs, and when hatched this is the time to siphon of the siblings. Bec. the last time I removed the eggs with my helecopter plec. almost 3/4 of the eggs didn't hatch!! :(
Too many gorgeous loricariids
So hard to obtain! Grrr....

Return to “South American Catfishes (Loricariidae - Plecos et al)”