I'm so angry! -> "Spotted Clarias"

All posts regarding the care and breeding of catfishes from Asia.
Ben
Location 1: PEI, Canada
Interests: Fish, Computers, Comic Books, Nature

I'm so angry! -> "Spotted Clarias"

Post by Ben »

So, today I stopped into one of the LFSs in my area. It's part of a rather large chain, and though they don't have anything all that interesting usually, they do have lots of fish in general....

Low and behold there was a whole tank filled with what was labled "Spotted Clarias". I thought to myself "nice looking little guys, but look like they would get big" I asked the woman working there what she knew about them, and she told me that they are very friendly, good in community set up, and get about 3 or 4 inches....my not being an expert in asian cats, considered getting a couple, but though "naw, I should read bout them first" so I got to work, and looked them up in cat-elog....

They are baby Clarias batrachus!!!! So, tomorrow I'm going in there and giving them quite a tuning! What right do they have to sell a fish like that! Saying a 40" fish will only be 4"! And that they aren't predatory!!! ARGH!

On a side note, if anyone wants a baby Clarias batrachus, they are going for 5$ here ;)
Silurus
I've donated: $12.00!
My articles: 55
My images: 885
My catfish: 1
My cats species list: 90 (i:0, k:0)
Spotted: 420
Location 1: Singapore
Location 2: Moderator Emeritus

Post by Silurus »

Just curious....were these albino, piebald or the regular variety?
<i>Clarias batrachus</i> will not grow to 40" BTW, only about 18" or so. The size quoted in the Cat-eLog is for African species.
Last edited by Silurus on 27 Mar 2003, 09:49, edited 1 time in total.
jscoggs27
I've donated: $130.00!
My images: 4
My cats species list: 11 (i:0, k:0)
My aquaria list: 1 (i:1)
Spotted: 2
Location 1: UK
Location 2: Stevenage, Herts, UK

Post by jscoggs27 »

That was a serious mistake on their part! These obviously are not suitable for a comunity setup. They will in a very short space of time decimate any community fish and destroy your luvly setup. However, I can say that they probably wont reach the 40" stated. C Batrachus should get to about 12 to 14 inches. Once they are nearing maturity they chill out somwhat. Mine currently co-exists happily with other fish, but dominates the tank entirely.
I have kept two of these and can say that their behavour can sometimes be eratic. When they are young their growth rate is incredibly fast and in their frenzied search for food will kill, maim, eat, and generally pester the life out of anything they are with.
They look very cute, are very active and seem benign when very young, dont be fooled!
If you want a laugh though ask them to fish one out for you and watch the tank explode as fish jump in all directions!

jason
Ben

Post by Ben »

Good to know that they won't get that big, still, quite a bit different than what they were trying to tell me! The ones they had were all the mottled colouration. Sort of pink with random dark spots on them.
Silurus wrote:Just curious....were these albino, piebald or the regular variety?
<i>Clarias batrachus</i> will not grow to 40" BTW, only about 18" or so. The size quoted in the Cat-eLog is for African species.
Silurus
I've donated: $12.00!
My articles: 55
My images: 885
My catfish: 1
My cats species list: 90 (i:0, k:0)
Spotted: 420
Location 1: Singapore
Location 2: Moderator Emeritus

Post by Silurus »

That would be the piebald variety. Seems to be the most commonly sold type in stores.
Ben

Post by Ben »

So, I went back into the store, with printed off info from Cat-eLog for them. Gave it to the manager. She was shocked, and quite upset about it, and called a staff meeting about properly researching fish prior to ordering them. The print of from PC is now pinned up beside the tank full of Clarias.

Return to “Asian Catfishes”