how big do gold nuggets get?

All posts regarding the care and breeding of these catfishes from South America.
socom
Location 1: Michigan,USA

how big do gold nuggets get?

Post by socom »

planet catfish says 14" is that accurate? sounds awful big.
Rusty
Location 1: New York, NY
Interests: Mochokidae, Clariidae, Heteropneustidae, Malapteruridae, Chacidae, Cetopsidae, Bagridae, Amphilidae

Post by Rusty »

Yes, that is the correct size for L18 and L81. L177 stays considerably smaller, reaching a max size of about 6".
Janne
Expert
My articles: 10
My images: 243
Spotted: 73
Location 2: Belém, Brazil

Post by Janne »

Hi,
I think you mean L18 and L177 for the bigger and L81 reaching 6"

Janne
RaacheL
Location 1: Arkansas, USA

Post by RaacheL »

How can you tell the difference between the 6''er and the 14''er? Because my LFS told me they would be getting the smaller type of gold nugget in..and they said something about one has blue eyes or something? How would I know, that it was the smaller type and they weren't just saying it was? And would the smaller type of Gold Nugget go with a Butterfly Pl*co L168 in a 26 gal cause i know the GN tends to be a bit territorial..
Janne
Expert
My articles: 10
My images: 243
Spotted: 73
Location 2: Belém, Brazil

Post by Janne »

Hi,
L81 have very small dots all over the body, the other two have bigger and not so many.
I have'nt seen any GN with blue eyes...yet.
Take a look at the Cat-E-log http://planetcatfish.com/ilibrary/index.htm
The gold nugget pleco is only territorial with other Baryancistrus plecos when they become mature so it should be ok to keep them together with your L168 if you give them some caves or wood to hide in.

Janne

Return to “South American Catfishes (Loricariidae - Plecos et al)”