ID of cories

Did you know fantastic help is an anagram of Planet Catfish? This forum is for those of you with pictures of your catfish who are looking for help identifying them. There are many here to help and a firm ID is the first step towards keeping your catfish in the best conditions.
emito
Location 1: Glendale, CA

ID of cories

Post by emito »

I have three cories; I am pretty sure that this guy is Brochis splendens:

But I'm not sure about the other two. I bought one labeled as a Brochis splendens, but he looks completely different and I'm thinking that he could be a bronze cory (not sure of the scientific name):

And a better picture of him with the Brochis:

The third fish I have I believe is a three stripe cory (Corydoras trilineatus) but the store sold him to me as a Juli cory. Are these one and the same or is they two different species? This is not a very good picture because this little guy is always on the go, but it's the best I have so far (note: he is looking at his own reflection -- I don't have two):

Image Image

TIA for your help. :)

Erica
Silurus
I've donated: $12.00!
My articles: 55
My images: 885
My catfish: 1
My cats species list: 90 (i:0, k:0)
Spotted: 420
Location 1: Singapore
Location 2: Moderator Emeritus

Post by Silurus »

The third fish I have I believe is a three stripe cory (Corydoras trilineatus) but the store sold him to me as a Juli cory. Are these one and the same or is they two different species?
Yup, those are <i>C. trilineatus</i>. They are often sold as <i>C. julii</i> (which is a different species) because this species is rarer and commands higher prices.
Just economics (or is it greed?) at work.
clothahump
Location 1: Deepest Darkest Dorset UK

Post by clothahump »

I think the Cory in pic 2 and 3 is Corydoras venezuelanus.
emito
Location 1: Glendale, CA

Post by emito »

clothahump wrote:I think the Cory in pic 2 and 3 is Corydoras venezuelanus.
I checked the pictures of C. venezuelanus; the site pic fish seem to have more of a golden coloration near the gills (I know it isn't clear from my blurry pictures, sorry).

Browsing through the cat-elog, I found a "Bronze cory" (C. aenis) that looks a little bit more like the one I have. So I'm guessing that this is what he is.

Thanks for everybody's feedback! :o

Erica

Return to “What is my catfish?”