What corydoras am I??

All posts regarding the care and breeding of these catfishes from South America.
SanDiegoFishes
Location 1: San Diego, California USA
Interests: Fish! Corydoras, dwarf plecos, Farlowellas, livebearers,apistogrammas, angelfish,snails, plants,rainbows, and pretty much everything else!

What corydoras am I??

Post by SanDiegoFishes »

Hello everyone,
I came across these cute corys in a fish store today, they were labeled as Corydoras species "Spotted". No idea what they are, but I think I have it narrowed down to three possibles. What do the experts think? I have 7 of them now too :)
Best, Barb

Last edited by SanDiegoFishes on 18 Apr 2005, 17:54, edited 1 time in total.
I currently have 25+ tanks, ranging in size from 10 gallons to 240 gallons. Also, 6 above ground ponds outside. Raise many species of fish, including corydoras, farlowella's, L number plecos, bushynoses, etc. Catfish RULE!!
SanDiegoFishes
Interests: Fish! Corydoras, dwarf plecos, Farlowellas, livebearers,apistogrammas, angelfish,snails, plants,rainbows, and pretty much everything else!

Post by SanDiegoFishes »

Here is a top view of the same fish, maybe this will help in identification. Thanks!

Last edited by SanDiegoFishes on 18 Apr 2005, 17:55, edited 1 time in total.
I currently have 25+ tanks, ranging in size from 10 gallons to 240 gallons. Also, 6 above ground ponds outside. Raise many species of fish, including corydoras, farlowella's, L number plecos, bushynoses, etc. Catfish RULE!!
Coryman
Expert
My articles: 12
My catfish: 5
My cats species list: 83 (i:0, k:0)
My BLogs: 1 (i:0, p:1)
Spotted: 194
Location 1: Kidderminster UK
Location 2: Kidderminster, UK
Interests: Cory's, Loricariids, photography and more Cory's

Post by Coryman »

They look like young C. delphax to me, what size are they?

Ian
SanDiegoFishes

Post by SanDiegoFishes »

Hi Ian,
From the tip of their nose to the very tips of their tails, they are about 1 3/4 inches.
Here is a couple other PICS.
Thanks! Barb

SanDiegoFishes

Post by SanDiegoFishes »

SanDiegoFishes

Post by SanDiegoFishes »

eupterus
Location 1: Essex uk
Interests: Livebearers, corys and L numbers

Post by eupterus »

I would agree delphax although the last photo looks a bit like C. leuomelas as it has a higher dorsal fin. If you know where they come from it may be a clue. Columbia - likely to be delphax, peru could be leucomelas.

They appear to be quite young so may become more evident as they get older.

Hope this helps
Eupterus.

C. hastatus - habrosus - pygmaeus - aeneus - duplicareus - axelrodi - panda - trilineatus - napoensis - delphax - melini - paleatus - barbatus - concolor - robinae -seussi - reynoldsi - septentrionalis - arcuatus - C57 "nordestini" - guapore - aeneus "black" - C131
SanDiegoFishes

Post by SanDiegoFishes »

eupterus wrote:I would agree delphax although the last photo looks a bit like C. leuomelas as it has a higher dorsal fin. If you know where they come from it may be a clue. Columbia - likely to be delphax, peru could be leucomelas.

They appear to be quite young so may become more evident as they get older.

Hope this helps
Alas, I will never know where they came from, the fish store didn't even know what they were, LOL!! They had them marked as "Spotted Cory species", $2.99 each. They had 7, they looked really healthy, so I brought them home to a life of TLC and lots of worms :)
Barb
metallhd
Location 1: Edmonton Alberta Canada

Post by metallhd »

Well just for reference sake, here's one of my 'spotted' corys, I believe positively ID'ed as c. brevirostris, also known as c. wortoi, that is unless I'm way off? The spot pattern is completely different, as you will see . . . I have 6 of these guys, picture doesn't do justice, but the pale stripe near the head is NOT gold, more of a tan/yellow hue.

:?

http://www.telusplanet.net/public/metal ... ory_01.jpg
The toil of all that be helps not the primal fault
it rains into the sea, and still the sea is salt
mad scientist
Location 1: Singapore

Post by mad scientist »

metallhd,
That's a bit tough to ID based on the very last picture. A side profile would serve this purpose better as the shape of the body and snout would give a better indication of the species.

Cheers,
bedwetter
My cats species list: 9 (i:0, k:0)
Location 1: Missoula
Location 2: Montana

Post by bedwetter »

Those look like delphax to me as well. I love these guys, they are one of the most active cory's I have, always swimming around.

I don't think they are leucomelas b/c the snout is too pointed.

nice pics by the way. What kind of container did you use for taking the photos?

jeff
corydoras4life
Location 1: Rhode Island
Interests: MY FISH!!!!!!!!!!

Post by corydoras4life »

Well just for reference sake, here's one of my 'spotted' corys, I believe positively ID'ed as c. brevirostris, also known as c. wortoi, that is unless I'm way off? The spot pattern is completely different, as you will see . . . I have 6 of these guys, picture doesn't do justice, but the pale stripe near the head is NOT gold, more of a tan/yellow hue.

http://www.telusplanet.net/public/metal ... ory_01.jpg

well Metallhd i would say that they are the same species BUT
your spotted cory could just be older than SanDiegoFishes cory so this might help in your search for what the species of cory your fish is.
In my fish tank I have:
4 corydoras aenus
2 ? cories
1 corydoras agassizzii
1 common pl*co
3 fat bellied mollies
2 platies
1 oto
and 1 guppy (male)

all my other fish in 30 gallon:
3 african clawed frogs
3 feeder goldfish
2 blue gouramis
2 ? killifisfishes
and 1 round-tail loach
Coryman
Expert
My articles: 12
My catfish: 5
My cats species list: 83 (i:0, k:0)
My BLogs: 1 (i:0, p:1)
Spotted: 194
Location 1: Kidderminster UK
Location 2: Kidderminster, UK
Interests: Cory's, Loricariids, photography and more Cory's

Post by Coryman »

Without a doubt they are young C. delphax. In C. leucomelas the dorsal blotch is more or less diamond shaped and and sits pretty much evenly on body and dorsal fin. The spotting and dorsal blotch are usually intense black.

Ian
chef
My cats species list: 8 (i:0, k:0)
Location 1: stafford england
Interests: corydoras breeding etc

Post by chef »

i have to agree with coryman that these are delphax, and this would be more apparent if they were over a darker base as they do seem to be abit washed out without any substrate
SanDiegoFishes

Post by SanDiegoFishes »

Thanks Ian and Chef!! I am glad I ran across these little guys, they are doing well and looking great!
Best, Barb
(New C.delphax owner, big grin)

Return to “South American Catfishes (Callichthyidae - Corys et al)”