Could this be an internal parasite problem?

All posts regarding the care and breeding of these catfishes from South America.
PhilipAsh
Location 1: Nottingham, UK

Could this be an internal parasite problem?

Post by PhilipAsh »

Hi all,

One of my breeding Ancistrus males appears to be off colour.
I had noticed some stringy white faeces in the tank when doing a water change earlier, and I have just seen him with a very thick white strand still emerging.
He is not as active as usual and is not chasing his lady friends, as he normally loves to do.

I have never seen this before, and my research points towards a internal parasite problem.

Do you agree? If so , do i have to treat the whole tank? I am in the UK, what medicine is recommended?

Many thanks for your help.

Phil.
STINGRAY
Location 1: WEST MIDS
Interests: CATFISH AND RAYS

Post by STINGRAY »

When the fish has finished excreting can you see worms protruding from the fishes anal area? We use a wormer called Levanasol from the vets for this ailment. Diet could also be to blame, so what is he fed on?
PhilipAsh

Post by PhilipAsh »

STINGRAY wrote:When the fish has finished excreting can you see worms protruding from the fishes anal area? We use a wormer called Levanasol from the vets for this ailment. Diet could also be to blame, so what is he fed on?
No, there are no worms. I managed to get a very clear look earlier on.

The diet is extremely varied.
Commercial Foods - Tetra Prima,Tabimin,Plecomin,Pro.
Frozen Foods - Bloodwoorm,Artemia,Blackworm,Glassworm, Peas and Cucumber.
Even some occasional live plants (Surprised me when they started eating them)

There are many fish in the tank, and it receives all of the above over about a week.

I have had these 4 Ancistrus (2 male 2 female) for over two years in a 75 UK Gal tank.
No issues with water quality and no other fish are showing any signs of distress.

Any other ideas?

Many thanks

Phil.
STINGRAY

Post by STINGRAY »

Without doing a scrape it would be difficult. Does your lfs have a microscope? If it isnt parasites it could bacterial does the fish have any sign of bleeding do any of the others show same symptoms?
PhilipAsh

Post by PhilipAsh »

STINGRAY wrote:Without doing a scrape it would be difficult. Does your lfs have a microscope? If it isnt parasites it could bacterial does the fish have any sign of bleeding do any of the others show same symptoms?
I am not sure about a microscope.
There are no outward signs of illness on this fish or any other. Even no change in colour.
Just the white poop and lack of activity. All the others are acting normally.

I obviously would like to help this guy, but i am also concerned for the other tankmates.

Thanks

Phil.
Silurus
I've donated: $12.00!
My articles: 55
My images: 885
My catfish: 1
My cats species list: 90 (i:0, k:0)
Spotted: 420
Location 1: Singapore
Location 2: Moderator Emeritus

Post by Silurus »

Might be a capillarid infection. These are nematodes (worms0, but very small ones not easily visible to the naked eye.
STINGRAY

Post by STINGRAY »

Try using one of the readily available revitalisor tonics ,see if this gives any improvements before trying anything more drastic. If it is a form of worms a stronger remedy may well be req'd. Fingers crossed. Stingray
PhilipAsh

Post by PhilipAsh »

STINGRAY wrote:Try using one of the readily available revitalisor tonics ,see if this gives any improvements before trying anything more drastic. If it is a form of worms a stronger remedy may well be req'd. Fingers crossed. Stingray

A bit of an update.
I had continued to observe the tank, and noticed several of my Corys flicking and rubbing. There are no external signs of any type of disease. I now believe another Ancistrus may have the same problem.

I have dosed the tank with Sterazin.
(The following from Waterlife website)
STERAZIN - parasiticide.
STERAZIN is used or the control of gill and body parasites which cause fish to flick when no symptoms are visible to the unaided eye. STERAZIN will also aid the control of internal parasites such as Round Worm, Thread Worm, and Intestinal Worm.
It is a several day treatment, I will let you know how I get on.
Prior to treatment I gave the tank a 20 gal water change, they wont be able to have one now for 10 days.

I havent been able to pickup a tonic (I've heard Liquisil is good?), as yet. But I will do.

Many thanks guys,

Phil.
STINGRAY

Post by STINGRAY »

Liquasil is a revitalisor tonic anyway. It helps to drop background levels of germs etc in your aquarium. King British make the other one stated. Good luck let us know the outcome.
PhilipAsh

Post by PhilipAsh »

Just a bit of an update.

I continued with the Sterazin and the syptoms disappeared.
No more white poop. Corys flicking only very occasionally.
I did a large change and waited a couple of days.
I dosed with Liquisil to make sure a few days ago.

I had to net the male out this morning.
No external signs of any illness still, just dead. :(

Still no other signs of disease in the tank and everyone is acting normally.

I dont know if I should do anything else or just wait and see.

Phil.

Return to “South American Catfishes (Loricariidae - Plecos et al)”