Driftwood

Post pictures of your beloved catfish aquaria here. Also good for pictures of your (cat)fish rooms or equipment discussions. If you are posting pictures of identified catfish, please do so in the appropriate husbandry and reproduction forum above.
BIGblue
Location 1: Sunrise, FL, USA

Driftwood

Post by BIGblue »

Has anyone ever had driftwood turn there water brown?

I recently bought 2 pieces of Malaysian driftwood from 2 different stores. I boiled both of the pieces of driftwood (separately) for about 2 hours. The driftwood in my syno's tank is fine, but the driftwood in my Leporacanthicus' tank is turning the water brown. I took the driftwood out and boiled it for an additional 2 hours. The water is still brown. Is there anything else I can do to the driftwood to keep it from turning the water brown? Should I just take the driftwood out? My leoracanthicus has made his home in this driftwood, so I really don't want to take it out. Any help is greatly appreciated.
Image Angel
Silurus
I've donated: $12.00!
My articles: 55
My images: 885
My catfish: 1
My cats species list: 90 (i:0, k:0)
Spotted: 420
Location 1: Singapore
Location 2: Moderator Emeritus

Post by Silurus »

That's just tannin from the driftwood leaching out into the water. Don't worry about it (it's harmless to the fish).
In fact, it's generally better for the fish (doesn't look good for the tank if you like clear water, though).
If you really want to get rid of it, you can keep soaking in changes of water until the water is more or less clear, but you can probably never get rid of all the tannins and the water will still have a faint brownish tinge.
Caol_ila
My images: 53
Spotted: 23
Location 1: Mainz, Germany

Post by Caol_ila »

personally id leave it in imho brown colored water is really nice as it gives the tank a more natural look.
cheers
Christian
BIGblue

Post by BIGblue »

Silurus,

How exactly is it BETTER for the tank?

As long as it doesn't harm the fish, I'll just leave it. I really don't like messing around with the tank, or the furniture. I don't want my fish to go through any unncecessary stress just because of this piece of driftwood.

Thank You
Image Angel
Silurus

Post by Silurus »

I menat better for the fish (in most cases, that is). Most tropical fishes come from streams that have a large amount of litter (dead leaves, branches) on the stream/river bed and banks, all of which will leach tannins into the water.
So, the stuff that's happening to your tank is also happening in the natural habitat of the fish. It should be better, because it makes the fishes feel right at home.
Besides, fishes that come from blackwater habitats (where the amount of tannins is unusually high) will show the full brilliance of their natural colors. They usually look rather washed out in color when kept in crystal clear water.
BIGblue

Post by BIGblue »

Thanks for the info. I'll leave the tank just the way it is.
Image Angel
akpostal
Location 1: anchorage AK

Post by akpostal »

I also like the dark water look. When I moved I added carbon to the filters and it eliminated all the tanin stain to the water. After removing the carbon the stain is coming back witch is to my liking I do not know if the carbon removed anything else benificial from the tanins or affected the PH (the well water is allready soft).
mokmu
Location 1: Manila/Singapore
Interests: Fish, Food, 4x4

Post by mokmu »

Since we are talking about driftwood, can I ask some more questions about them? What are other more natural forms of wood that can be included in the tanks for a more natural biotope?

1) Of course, bamboo is one. I have them here although haven't put them in yet
2) I have read that coconut trees that have fallen have been eaten by Panaques. They are too big though.
3) Can palm trees and such be part of a natural biotope? I have a number of parts/branches of those palm trees that usually contain their fruit. They have fallen off the tree and are very dry. Can I use those? I tried putting them in a tank I was cycling and white stuff started to grow on them. I pulled them out to dry again.

Please let me know.
Silurus

Post by Silurus »

Sure. Palms are natural. Especially rattans (real nasty stuff, can cut you up real bad if you're not too careful).
Bathos
I've donated: $20.00!
Location 1: USA, Pennsylvania
Interests: Corydoras and other freshwater fish

Post by Bathos »

try boiling it before you put it in the tank. this should get rid of that white stuff. i've heard bleach works too, though i've never tried it.
-Liz
MultiPunk
Location 1: Hampshire, UK
Interests: rugby, motorbikes

Post by MultiPunk »

so what's the white stuff exactly? I'd assumed that it's algae which will turn brown then green. Is it something more nasty than that?
MultiPunk
Silurus

Post by Silurus »

Probably fungus.
Algae doesn't change in color. The brown and the green algae are different kinds, not the same one changing color as it grows.
You generally get brown algae under poorer light.
MultiPunk

Post by MultiPunk »

I'm sure some of it was produced by my seeding the tank with a old nylon full of gravel from a mature coldwater tank. The area where the gravel sat is now completely coverd in the stuff. But both pieces of the mopani wood I have now have this white stuff.
Is this good fungus or bad fungus? Has it got to go before the fish move in?
MultiPunk
Silurus

Post by Silurus »

Fungus is generally pretty harmless to fishes. It only sets in as a secondary infection when the fishes' immune systems are weakened.
I wouldn't worry too much about it. I have kept driftwood with a profuse growth of white fungus in my tanks before. Unsightly, but never seemed to affect the fish in any way.
MultiPunk

Post by MultiPunk »

That's reassuring, thanks HH.
Will the fish eat this stuff? (Tang cichlids and syno multipunctatus.)
MultiPunk
Silurus

Post by Silurus »

No, they won't. AFAIK, there are no fungus-eating fishes. Anyways, a number of fungi are full of toxins that would kill anything that tried to eat them.
MultiPunk

Post by MultiPunk »

OK, so it has to go! :evil:
MultiPunk

Return to “Tank Talk”