ich

Post pictures of your beloved catfish aquaria here. Also good for pictures of your (cat)fish rooms or equipment discussions. If you are posting pictures of identified catfish, please do so in the appropriate husbandry and reproduction forum above.
Zack
Location 1: Kodiak Alaska
Interests: fish,outdoors,powersports=mx,pre running,etc etc

ich

Post by Zack »

Hi,
Iv noticed a few small spots of ich on my new pike cichlid so im going to be treating the tank with copper safe when i get home. Will it be alright if i unplug my magnum canister filter for a few days and just leave a powerhead in it, and after the treatment is over i'll do a big water change and vacume the tank? It wont get too bad in that short of a time will it??
55 gallon
11 pygmy cories
8 neon tetras
1 banjo
4 black neons
4 otos
Caol_ila
My images: 53
Spotted: 23
Location 1: Mainz, Germany

Post by Caol_ila »

hi!

If u try use the search option youll find the matter of ick has been discussed a number of times.

WHY would you wonna unplugg the filter? Are you aware that not running it for longer than 2 hours will kill all the bacteria in it and make it useless like a new filter.

Most importantly is raising the temp and shutting down all lights making it dark.
cheers
Christian
Dinyar
My articles: 3
My images: 228
My catfish: 10
My cats species list: 3 (i:0, k:0)
Spotted: 94
Location 1: New York, NY, USA
Interests: Mochokidae, Claroteidae, Bagridae, Malepteruridae, Chacidae, Heteropneustidae, Clariidae, Sisoridae, Loricariiadae

Post by Dinyar »

Don't unplug the filter. That would kill the fish even if they didn't have ich. If you are going to add any medications, just remove any carbon you may have in the filter, then keep the filer running.

Dinyar
Zack
Location 1: Kodiak Alaska
Interests: fish,outdoors,powersports=mx,pre running,etc etc

Post by Zack »

i decided not to remove it, and i just took out the filter medians the carbon and the prefilter. Iv raised the temp from seventy eight to eighty five but i did it gradualy.
55 gallon
11 pygmy cories
8 neon tetras
1 banjo
4 black neons
4 otos

Return to “Tank Talk”