Hypostomus (Cochliodon) cochliodon diet?

All posts regarding the care and breeding of these catfishes from South America.
Caol_ila
My images: 53
Spotted: 23
Location 1: Mainz, Germany

Hypostomus (Cochliodon) cochliodon diet?

Post by Caol_ila »

Hi!

Since i added my Fly-River-turtle to my big tank which houses 3 different kinds of Hypostomus (Cochliodon) cochliodon im worrying about their diet. As the turtle is solely eating meaty foods (trout, other fresh/frozen fish, gamarus, shrimps) the plecos are all over these foods. As usual i feed zucchinis and potatoes but they leave them aside for the meaty foods. I know they are wood/greens eaters and so the preference really wonders me as in their natural habitat i guess there are remains of dead fish, crustaceans they could eat...?
cheers
Christian
Plec0maniac
Location 1: Manila, Philippines

Post by Plec0maniac »

hi! Cochliodons eat anything, mine eats squash, zucchini, bloodworms, fishes, fresh shrimp, algae wafers, and tablets... Don;t worry I think that they would happily eat the left overs of your pig-nose turtle :)
Too many gorgeous loricariids
So hard to obtain! Grrr....
TKP

Post by TKP »

becareful of your Fly-River-turtle ,they will bite your pleco when hungry.
Plec0maniac
Location 1: Manila, Philippines

Post by Plec0maniac »

yeah TKP is right, I forgot about a fly-river turtles appetite :) One thing you could do, you could add small feeder goldfishes in your tank so that if your pet turtle will get hungry, he could chow on your feeders :D
Too many gorgeous loricariids
So hard to obtain! Grrr....
Caol_ila
My images: 53
Spotted: 23
Location 1: Mainz, Germany

Post by Caol_ila »

Hi!

As the turtle is still small i guess thats not much of a problem yet...i had corys in there and none got lost...now theres three Hoplos in there and the turtle shows no interest in living fish. I wonder how she could catch freeswimmers if she cant catch bottomdwellers? Ill see how it works out.
cheers
Christian

Return to “South American Catfishes (Loricariidae - Plecos et al)”