For Dinyar & the other Tang-Syno lovers: S polli

All posts regarding the care and breeding of catfishes from Africa.
Sid Guppy
Location 1: Brabant, the Netherlands
Interests: Catfish, Tanganyikan fish, Rock'n'roll, Fantasy

For Dinyar & the other Tang-Syno lovers: S polli

Post by Sid Guppy »

the first shot of my Synodontis polli breeding group. I expect them to spawn any day now; the females are really fat, and they're stepping up the chasing (keeping me awake with nightly splashings and noises; tank is in the bedroom...)

Goodnight, Sid
Plan B should not automatically be twice as much explosives as Plan A
Dinyar
My articles: 3
My images: 228
My catfish: 10
My cats species list: 3 (i:0, k:0)
Spotted: 94
Location 1: New York, NY, USA
Interests: Mochokidae, Claroteidae, Bagridae, Malepteruridae, Chacidae, Heteropneustidae, Clariidae, Sisoridae, Loricariiadae

Post by Dinyar »

Nice shot of the PVC pipes, Sid! :D Looking forward to seeing the S. polli next! :razz:

Dinyar

PS: Make sure these photos don't fall into the wrong hands! Some may think these were shots of Iraqi hangars for pilotless drone aircraft or some similar casus belli.
SynoPetri
Location 1: Bairisch Kölldorf, Austria
Interests: athletics

Post by SynoPetri »

Much PVC, little fish. :(

Give us some more information about the tank: size, how many males, how many females, what do you feed?
Georg
Sid Guppy

Post by Sid Guppy »

There'll be better pics soon; but this one was taken late at night with the flash; I couldn't even see the tank; just a lucky shot.

I've got 2 males and 3 females; they're about 11-14 cm.
The tank is 100 cm x 35 cm x 30 cm (Length x width x height), filtered with an Eheim. T=24'C, waterchange about 35% every two weeks.
pH is about 8, DH (or GH, you UK and US people use that opposite of us) is about 11; KH about 8.
The only other fish in the tank are about 4 3 cm big baby bristlenoses, to keep the algae growth in check, and clean up leftovers. Once those reach a certain size, they are exchanged for smaller ones, and traded away (I'm hipdeep in bristlenose fry, and they grow REALLY FAST in the polli tank)

Food: tropical flake mixed with some spirulina, spirulina tabs, tropical flake tabs, red and green Riftlake-cichlidgranules, krill, mysis, dahnia, gammarus, artemia, bloodworms, black and white moswquitolarvae, powderfood, peas, spinache, live Ramshornsnails.
The last ones were something of a surprise; I used those for cleaners, until I discovered the Syno's eating the snails! They 'suck' the big ones right out of their shells, and small ones (smaller than 8 mm or so) are crushed and eaten, pondsnails as well.....
They do NOT however eat the Malaisian Burrower (wich has a much thicker shell than the Ramshorn. I had to exterminate those.
With the food I've got the following routine: I feed a mix of freezefoods one day, a flake or powderfood mix the next and a tab- or granulebased dinner the day after that, and I vary a LOT. once every week -or two weeks sometimes- they skip a day; they fast.
SynoPetri
Location 1: Bairisch Kölldorf, Austria
Interests: athletics

Post by SynoPetri »

Where are the pics you promised? I am very curious!
Georg
Sid Guppy

Post by Sid Guppy »

Easy, down! Back in the basket.. :shock: :evil: :twisted:
arf arf
Uh; I'm still editing :oops: :oops: :oops:
I've got a pic or three and a few of the elusive Syno "polli"; but they are nowhere as good as the pics on Lophiobagrus or Hoplosternum punctatum.
The Syno's ain't going nowhere, nor is the digicam, I'll try to post something tonight to satisfy your taste :wink: :shock: :roll:

Return to “African Catfishes”