Frozen Mussels

All posts regarding the care and breeding of these catfishes from South America.
batho
Location 1: Stoke-on-Trent, England
Interests: Catfish

Frozen Mussels

Post by batho »

Can i feed Baryancistrus LDA33 on frozen mussels.

I am concerned about feeding prawns as i suspect my Gold Nugget died from bad prawns.

If i can use frozen blister pack mussels, how should i defrost them?

Steve
Janne
Expert
My articles: 10
My images: 244
Spotted: 73
Location 2: Belém, Brazil

Post by Janne »

Hi Steve,
I give my L81 and LDA33 mussel's once a week and let them defrost in the tank, I dont have any other fishes with them so for me it's not any problem. If you want to defrost them before you give them so have them in cold water for 5 minutes.

Janne
batho

Post by batho »

Janne,

Tried some last night by defrosting in water and the LDA33 seems very happy. Out even more than usual.

Do LDA33 tend be a bit braver than other Pl*cos as i see him more than my L205 or L141 in the same tank?

Why do you only feed once per week with mussels? What do you feed other times?

Anybody elses views would be appreciated.

Steve
Janne
Expert

Post by Janne »

I dont know if LDA33 is more brave then other plecos, for me they are very shy but they realy like strong current in the tank and are not hiding as much when they usually do.
I dont know how much protein they can handle without giving them problems with the stomach so therefor I give them only once a week and they appreciates the mussels more if I dont give them to often.
I also give them mysis...I dont know the word for that in english but it's a small shrimp I cought in the autumn at the coast and frezing them so I have for a year, I give all my fishes mysis 2-3 times a week.
As a staple food I use a homemade shrimpmix with 1/4 shrimps, 1/4 cod and 1/2 blended vegetables and little multivitamines and spirulina. Sometimes I also give them bloodworms (mosquitos) if my intention is to spawn them, be careful with that when it
seams there is many plecos that have problems if they have it to often.
And if you want to see them eating something they really like...give them a part of
sweet potatoes peeled and raw, a stick straight through and naled between the bottom and top in your tank :)

Janne
ClayT101
Location 1: Baton Rouge, LA
Location 2: USA
Interests: Plecos, Pro Wrestling, Football (Pro & College)

Post by ClayT101 »

Can you buy frozen mussels at your LFS? I've only bought fresh ones at the grocery, and it stinks up the house when I boil them in order to open them up.
It's True! It's True!

Southeast Louisiana Aquarium Society: http://www.selas.us
Rusty
Location 1: New York, NY
Interests: Mochokidae, Clariidae, Heteropneustidae, Malapteruridae, Chacidae, Cetopsidae, Bagridae, Amphilidae

Post by Rusty »

If you stick them in the freezer for a while, they'll become slack jawed and open up. Easier then boiling!

Rusty
kgroenhoej
Location 1: Denmark

Post by kgroenhoej »

I can buy frossen mussels at my LFS - whole mussels without the shell or cut up mussels in blister-packings.
batho

Post by batho »

ClayT101 wrote:Can you buy frozen mussels at your LFS? I've only bought fresh ones at the grocery, and it stinks up the house when I boil them in order to open them up.
ClayT101,

I can buy blister pack cockles and mussels from many local LFS.

Tried a small amount again last night but will leave off for a bit. LDA33 also likes cooked courgettes (5 mins in boiling water).

Steve
Janne
Expert

Post by Janne »

I buy the same as they use for pizza (restaurant) 1 kg frozen mussels, they usually have that on the supermarket and it's much cheaper than LFS.
When it comes to courgettes my LDA33 only eat the skin/shell but my L81 eat everything.

Janne

Return to “South American Catfishes (Loricariidae - Plecos et al)”